Do Bottle Shows Depress You? Why?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Rob,

I would have to disagree with you stating bottles are a bad investment. The bottles that you mentioned not being ok to collect, beers, milks, medicines, and sodas have a huge following in the bottle market. It sounds more like your preference as to what you like, and that's ok. We all collect different types of bottles, and if it was all about the money, this forum would probably be a ghost town. Sure, we all want our collection to have some monetary value, but as "collectors", it's the love of the glass, and the history associated with it that has us hooked.

Many types of antiques rise and fall in price, its just how the market performs. Trends, new collectors, older ones selling off, there is so much that plays into it. I can't even begin to scratch the surface. As with anything that someone collects, you have to really be into what it is that happens to be, to get the most enjoyment from it I believe.

Money wise, you have dealers and collectors, and folks that do a little of both. For me its a hobby, and one that i'd say i'm addicted to. I do it because I get enjoyment from antique bottles, that's really what it comes down to for me.

I've seen some outstanding collections, and some are very valueable monetary wise, but when a friend of mine finds a bottle that i'd love to have, i'm really happy and excited for them. Would I have loved to have or found it? Sure I would, but i'm just as happy knowing they found that piece for their collection. Who knows, maybe I have somthing they are interested in to trade. There's so much to it. It's all fun. You can build alot of good friendships and knowledge in this hobby, but ultimately, you really gotta have a passion for it to get the most satisfaction from it.

~Tim

TJSJHART

Reaction score
TRUE...SO TRUE TIM AKA BOTTLEKID76 . IN MY YOUNGER DAYS MY MOM AND DAD MOVED US BACK TO CINNY. NEWPORT AREA WHERE THEY GREW UP . I STARTED TO COLLECT FOSSILS ,TOTAL OF 79 GREAT PIECES, SOME FOUND SOME BOUGHT. I STILL HAVE THAT COLLECTION. I EVEN HAVE A FEW STAR WAR PIECES. HOBBIES ?? YES AND I STILL ENJOY LOOKIN AT THEM MIXED WITH THE BOTTLES. IT'S ALL IN WHAT YOU LIKE ...AND AS MY WIFE SAYS'''WHAT I WON'T THROW OUT...OR GIVE AWAY . I TEND TO RAMBLE ON A LOT .

Brains

Reaction score
At bottle shows I usually get pretty worked up when i see some over priced insulators that i'd probably try to buy if i was a little less lazy.
..Now gun shows make me depressed

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Brains

Now gun shows make me depressed
Just don't get tooo depressed

As for bottle shows,well,I've only been to one,and it made me for from depressed.
What does depress me is ebay,seeing bottles I thought I could make money on not selling for $.99

Ok,now I'm getting tired of typing the word"depress(ed)"
It depresses me ya know?

Plumbata

Reaction score
Tend not to attend many bottle shows, but no, seeing all the goodies being offered which I can't afford is not upsetting. Yes, sometimes i wish I owned every darned object at the show, but that is just base greed talking. The guys selling the items are generally 2 or 3 times my age and have invested time I haven't even lived long enough to use in the pursuit of old glass. A neighbor and brilliant antiques/art dealer didn't even start until he was 26; older than me now. He has amazing stuff, granted, but I started when I was 5, and figure that when I'm a greying 58 year old like him I'll have a pretty awesome and highly diversified collection of old crap too. Wish i could have been born a decade earlier, before eBay killed so many of the potential steals out there, but I've done fine as it is. If I sold all my stuff I could buy a decent Middle-class house outright and have money to spare. Won't happen, but it is good to have that security in mind if unforeseen needs arise. Why be jealous of those who have invested thousands of hours into doing what they love and finding a way to profit from it?

Perhaps part of it stems from one's focus on a single category. I have a decent local bottle collection and own some 1-of-a-kind TOC pieces, but when I encounter collectors with bottle collections worth several hundred K with many 1-of-a-kind pontiled/early pieces, it doesn't bother me. They are all older and largely in the twilight of their lives, and lack extensive collections/knowledge in other realms which I am highly invested within, realms which provide great joy and satisfaction. It is all about the love of the hobby, the love of collecting and sharing information, and the joys of meeting vibrant new people. These established collectors and dealers brought me into the hobby and helped to educate me. Sure, it was in their economic best interests if viewed cynically, but they are valuable resources in most respects and deserve the status they enjoy in the community. No one owns anything forever. It is all just stuff. We all die and rot away in our graves sooner or later, but the junk we have acted as stewards over will live on and educate new generations of appreciators long after we are transformed into worm food. That is the viewpoint I've always held. We rescue from the ground or curbside garbage piles what others have deemed as worthless, and resurrect them into something worth preserving for those who come after us. A noble cause in it's own right; regardless of associated prices or values in a particular year.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Tend not to attend many bottle shows, but no, seeing all the goodies being offered which I can't afford is not upsetting. Yes, sometimes i wish I owned every darned object at the show, but that is just base greed talking. The guys selling the items are generally 2 or 3 times my age and have invested time I haven't even lived long enough to use in the pursuit of old glass. A neighbor and brilliant antiques/art dealer didn't even start until he was 26; older than me now. He has amazing stuff, granted, but I started when I was 5, and figure that when I'm a greying 58 year old like him I'll have a pretty awesome and highly diversified collection of old crap too. Wish i could have been born a decade earlier, before eBay killed so many of the potential steals out there, but I've done fine as it is. If I sold all my stuff I could buy a decent Middle-class house outright and have money to spare. Won't happen, but it is good to have that security in mind if unforeseen needs arise. Why be jealous of those who have invested thousands of hours into doing what they love and finding a way to profit from it?

Perhaps part of it stems from one's focus on a single category. I have a decent local bottle collection and own some 1-of-a-kind TOC pieces, but when I encounter collectors with bottle collections worth several hundred K with many 1-of-a-kind pontiled/early pieces, it doesn't bother me. They are all older and largely in the twilight of their lives, and lack extensive collections/knowledge in other realms which I am highly invested within, realms which provide great joy and satisfaction. It is all about the love of the hobby, the love of collecting and sharing information, and the joys of meeting vibrant new people. These established collectors and dealers brought me into the hobby and helped to educate me. Sure, it was in their economic best interests if viewed cynically, but they are valuable resources in most respects and deserve the status they enjoy in the community. No one owns anything forever. It is all just stuff. We all die and rot away in our graves sooner or later, but the junk we have acted as stewards over will live on and educate new generations of appreciators long after we are transformed into worm food. That is the viewpoint I've always held. We rescue from the ground or curbside garbage piles what others have deemed as worthless, and resurrect them into something worth preserving for those who come after us. A noble cause in it's own right; regardless of associated prices or values in a particular year.
I tried to delete some of the above post for bandwidth economy reasons but could not bring myself to do it. Well said Stephen / Plumbata. I am much older than many / most of you and it is somewhat disappointing that most / many of you do not appreciate the fact that the hobby you enjoy had foundations upon which todays hobby was built. I, for one and Red Mathews and perhaps others on this forum, am / are some of the pioneers of this hobby. We get little to no respect from many / most of you. I am not complaining but this seems to be typical of the younger generation. You seem to have no interest in history. Many of the terms you take for granted were coined back in the 1960s which I was part of.

I have had more valueable, desireable bottles go through my hands than most of you could ever hope to own. Am I better than you? Not even a little bit ! More fortunate? Probably ! My point is: Listen, learn and be respectful. I have parted with collections that would rival the best on this forum from a monetary viewpoint (there are definite exceptions). The money was spent on more noble ventures. There are more inportant things in life than empty bottles. The point of this rant is a reminder to keep this hobby in perspective, there are more inportant things in life than old, empty bottles.

Please excuse this rant if you are somehow offended, actually, I don't give a rip. Sometimes I just have to vent which most of you ignore. Good choice. I mean no harm.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Somebody said and I dont know who, but it is true, we are just stewards of the past nothing more, when ya die if your lucky your bottles will find another steward who loves em as well as you do, but in the now, just enjoy em no matter what category they fall in..........

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

ORIGINAL: Plumbata

I tried to delete some of the above post for bandwidth economy reasons but could not bring myself to do it. Well said Stephen / Plumbata. I am much older than many / most of you and it is somewhat disappointing that most / many of you do not appreciate the fact that the hobby you enjoy had foundations upon which todays hobby was built. I, for one and Red Mathews and perhaps others on this forum, am / are some of the pioneers of this hobby. We get little to no respect from many / most of you. I am not complaining but this seems to be typical of the younger generation. You seem to have no interest in history. Many of the terms you take for granted were coined back in the 1960s which I was part of.

I have had more valueable, desireable bottles go through my hands than most of you could ever hope to own. Am I better than you? Not even a little bit ! More fortunate? Probably ! My point is: Listen, learn and be respectful. I have parted with collections that would rival the best on this forum from a monetary viewpoint (there are definite exceptions). The money was spent on more noble ventures. There are more inportant things in life than empty bottles. The point of this rant is a reminder to keep this hobby in perspective, there are more inportant things in life than old, empty bottles.

Please excuse this rant if you are somehow offended, actually, I don't give a rip. Sometimes I just have to vent which most of you ignore. Good choice. I mean no harm.

The question is--------did you ever have a puce Eagle l[8D][8D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229