Does ebay dispute resolution work???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve in MA

Reaction score
I had an issue for some items that I did not receive, after starting a dispute and jumping through the hoops, the seller (who it turns out had done this before under another name) never replied, and I won via default. I was then told that I could get no money back due to the fact that the seller closed the account, so there was no money to return. Also, I seem to recall that part of the Paypal Terms of Service was that you wouldn't have your credit card yank the payment, that all disputed transactions would be handled from eBay. It seems that others have had it work for them though, so I wish I had followed up on it, luckily, it wasn't a large amount. One of the things that stunk was after so many negatives, the account was suspended, and no one else could leave additional negatives. It looks bad for business you know. :(

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The dispute I filed is for a low value bottle so it doesnt concern me too much how it turns out but i find the experiment interesting since i have heard almost no good comments about the system. I want to see it operate myself and be able to give my first hand review of ebay's response.
Also, I would rather go this route than to leave the seller negative feedback. I currently have 802 feedback 100% positive. Negative feedback is going to hurt me a lot more than him.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
My son in law sold a bottle and clearly stated that he knew little about them. It was a Hostetters in the usual amber, maybe lighter. Owens ring was clearly visable as was the 18 oz. The guy who bought it was, by his FB, known for chargebacks and other seemingly bad practices.
The guy complained about the color and demanded his money back. Without comunicating further he sent the bottle back.
Just sent it return to sender after opening and the written complaint.
Well, the post office said my SIL owed them money. He explained and now the returner is facing possible postal fraud charges. What goes around...

LC

Reaction score
I have three negatives on my feedback score. Got for from a guy that stated I refused to send him information in order to pay for his two dollar bottle he won. I sent that guy I know between ten and fifteen emails half through eBay, and half through his personal email, never got a response from him either way. I complained to eBay, and they more or less told me, That's the way it goes sometime.[/align] [/align]I sold a quack device to a doctor on eBay. I clearly stated in the description there were some attachments broken, and one missing, even had arrows pointing at the ones that were missing or broken in the picture. I sent his purchase to him. A couple of days later I get an email from him telling mw that I did not pack items securely, and that some of the pieces were broken. Emailed him back, and told him it was clearly stated that pieces he had pictures of he sent was already broken. He told me a was a crook, and that he had bid on a complete set. I still have never figured out what picture or description it was that he looked at, it apparantly was not the one on the listing. I complained to eBay and asked that the negative be removed from my feedback score, and that all they had to do was look at my listing, and they could see the facts for themselves. eBay replied stating that they did not want to get involved with the feedback process between seller and buyer, in other words, they could give a dam less.[/align] [/align]Got my third Negative from some maniac who failed to pay for his item. I filed a Non Paying Bidder Report, and the guy goes nuts, which I think he was already nuts to begin with, left me a negative, takes a copy of the receipt he had, but would not show to me and listed it for sale on eBay , stating my name and address in his description and stating he had paid for the item, and I would not ship it to him. I got four harassing emails from people that were about as warped as he was, telling me I should send him his item. I had never received a payment from this lunatic. From there on for three weeks in the dispute he would make up story after story, once he said he paid by check, then it was a money order, then his story was I emailed him and said I would not send it to him unless I he would pay me more money for it, and ebay just let him continue on with his childish antics. It took eBay six days to cancel this simpleton's auction which they should have done immediately. I finally did receive his payment, and sent him his purchase, but I made sure I would never have to deal with him again. Looked for him a while back, and he was no longer a member. I assume eBay finally dealt with him after he went off on the deep end with someone else.[/align] [/align]Since that, I could care less about the feedback system, no matter how hard you try to do right, eventually you will get it put to you by a buyer regardless of how hard you try to please him. eBay is a joke, their feedback system is a joke. I have to say though, that I have met a lot of super nice folks and have established many friendships and repeat buyers on there.[/align]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I got one neg. It was from a seller that charged 26 bucks to cram 8 bottles in a small box with only a sheet of newspaper between each one and nothing between them and the box. Guess what happened!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
An update on the ebay/paypal claim experient.

To summarize so far...
- i bought item
- paid for said item using paypal
- never received bottle
- sent seller several emails , no response
- made paypal complaint
- no response from seller
- upgraded to a claim
- seller had till june 29 to respond
- seller never responded
- case decided in my favor

now, here is where we see how ebay/paypal try to weasel out of paying me back.
So far no message from paypal or indication that they are doing anything. I'll give them a few days before doing the next step of the experiment. My current theory is they will use some excuse to avoid paying out any money such as seller has close thier account or seller had no buyer protection or something feeble in that vain. But since this is an experiment I will wait for the actual outcome and see if I am plesently surprised.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
An update on the EBAY/PAYPAL claim experiment.
Its been a couple days since the case was supposed to be decided (in my favor since the seller never responded). Paypal still had the case status showing "waiting for response from seller" so I emailed them asking when I get paid. I just got a paypal email today. It basically says ...

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favor.
We were able to recover $16.14 USD and this amount has been credited to you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

So, assuming it actually gets posted to my account I have to conclude at least in my case the EBAY/PAYPAL resolution system appears to work. Its a bit confusing and could certainly be improved but it did work. That's the end of the experiment folks , hoped you enjoyed it.

*** one thing I would point out is if you are buying using paypal make sure the seller's auction states that they offer $xxxxx.xx dollars paypal protection for purchases. For instance this seller had $2000.00 protection I beleive. It makes it easier to get money back.

stinger haut

Reaction score
That is great that you received a refund from paypal/ebay.
I guess the system does work if you follow the path that they lay out for a refund.
Was this a full refund of your original money?
Stinger

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL