Done for the year???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Yooper14

Reaction score
That 7 sisters hair grower is great! I love hair tonic bottles...they're so amusing.
Great haul!

Tim

WMassPete

Reaction score
running out of space....hmmm.......you should trade all the blank meds to one of those guys who turns 'em purple.....or something like that....I just started making piles of all the whole bottles (and any particularly interesting chunks...etc) and leaving them more-or-less upside down in a pile....but then again...I filled my sheds with meds too....heh

frank

Reaction score
RE: Hey Pete???

Do you know anyone that collects plain meds from 1870 to 1900?? You should see the bottles that dont make the pic!![:D] crash and smash[:D]

WMassPete

Reaction score

the only time I was able to sell a bunch (aside from the piddling 50 cents they get at the flea market) was a guy who was either going to stick some labels on them or turn them purple....I guess then he could get....2 dollars for them....heh...Im sure someday there will be more of a demand...might be 50 years though..when everybody is stuck digging 1960s dumps...yuk

cobaltbot

Reaction score

Hey Frank if you are done for the year I hope you have as good a year next year.....I hope I have as good a year as you've had! There used to be an add in Antique Bottle and Glass Collector mag for plain meds, I think she was a crafter who put her own aromatic oils or something on them and slapped labels on. She probably has been flooded with them, not sure.

subsoil

Reaction score

*JACKPOT* finds there! I sometimes dig all day and don't pull out that much! I'm in nasty deep town dumps though and it all depends if you hit a nice vein you can do really good, other times not so good.

I've got boxes and boxes of the plain BIMAL ones... I hear ya about the shelf space issue :p

WMassPete

Reaction score

yah....I hate those "thin" dumps.....they might be 12 feet deep...but....the layers can really suck....Im digging a dump I used to think was totally dug..or mostly at least...looked like 4 feet of surface stuff on a hill...pretty basic.....lots of big holes...the hill continues on...but the dump seemingly ends..just sand.....I had other dumps in the area that were more interesting..but..I was metal detecting back there one day and with the leaves finally down I could see that the whole contour of the hill was screwed up...I had my little Lesche digger so I just started to burrow into the sand further along the hill ...there were a couple bricks and stuff..so after a couple feet I stuck my shovel in as far as I could and felt..something..anyways..suffice it to say...the whole hill (maybe the whole hill-line too) is dump.....I started at the bottom (swamp and brook behind me) and went straight in....now the hole ( a trench really) is about 10 or 12 feet.....4 feet of sand.....1 foot of ash and melted stuff circa 1890-1900........some bottles here and there...2 feet of bricks and a little bit of glass....another foot of ash and melted stuff.....the biggest bottles (not counting flukes) have been at the bottom..maybe 1880s down there...its all rocks and silt and hard to get to.....then you hit mushy silt and nothing (same as in the swamp).....but as I dig into the hill..I expect the layers to get older....when I was a teen I found a pontil about a foot in the sand at the top of one of these hills....best thing so far as been a green umbrella ink.....lots of inks (near a college)..mostly boring.....got one little square bottle with an Owl on it..but not Owl drug co......WH& CO Boston Chicago.....real thin glass...plus the usual...Dr Hookers...Ely's Cream Balm.....Hoods Tooth Powder...Sozodont....lots of plain food and meds..a few local druggists..one from Long Island...did find a jug (just a two-toner with a pouring spout)..but had a hole in the bottom...maybe someone used it as a planter......one of those dumps that have a LOT in certain catergories (inks....meds) and not a lot in others (virtually no soda or beer...the only alchaolic things are Warranted flasks..wine bottles....did see a couple broken blob pieces).....some really old stuff mixed in...lab equipment......saw a broken Warners...3 or 4 broken Dead Stucks....one broken ink was sort of shaped like a schoolhouse ink..but with a pen rest...but I digress...Frank..maybe Ill show you this dump if you can get me some permissions to detect some really old fields ....(Im having a heckuva time here in Westfield..all the property owners being very ANAL for some reason.. at least compared to Hadley or Northampton...for some odd reason)..or maybe a good 1930s pine-forest roadside kind of dump so I can get some more beer cans for my shelf.....they hold up really well in pine needles......drop me a line
Pete

frank

Reaction score

Nice offer pete you might want to hit that dump in a differant area where the foodplace is gone you know where talking about 1790 place !!!

WMassPete

Reaction score

its all going to be the same stuff..only newer and/or older......the older stuff might have some different types of things....people have dug right on top..where you are more in view (though you are still in the woods...so..not too bad..this time of year though..very thin brush)......you hit too many bricks up there....there are big trees too...nobody really got past a few feet up there..it seems to peter out..but.....that might b e a false bottom.the only way is to keep trenching into the hill...if the bottom stays level for awhile..its going to get very deep........I dont need any of your *great* fields..just something nearby I can go fart around at......where Im not constantly looking over my shoulder for people to yell at me (as it seems ALL of Westfield is like)......or nobody can give you a straight answer on who owns what..one old guy told me that the field right next to/touching his house was his brothers.....but his brother is a "SOB".....talk about passing the buck.....I did find a seated dime in that training field you told me about.....everything is really deep..and a lot of iron...did find a couple period things.....but....I like some place where its just dirt ...corn stubble..where I can make a mess and find lots of little knick-knacks and buttons....get some exercise...anyways..good luck digging
pete

frank

Reaction score

Well pete you can hit second feild that flat as pancake and civil war pit dumps that in the area undug.I do dumps now metal detecting is slow and not much to show for spending the time. ps the dump has still more to give i can find the oldest areas with my skill!![;)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology