Dr Bourbon's Pulmonic Balsam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Great find! You can't beat a name like that. I'd say bare minimum value $500, who knows, might reach $1-2k with competitive bidding!

Adhdigger

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! I still can't beleive I found this beauty and in such great shape. When I picked it up I thought it was a common Castoria bottle. Then I saw the bottom covered in mud and I thought it was chipped and then I cleaned it off and I realized it was a pontiL scar. I almost fainted.My 7 year old almost broke it today. I'm not sure if I would still be breathing after RiBottleguys post. If I ever decide to sell it I will let you all know. If anyone gets or has more info please pass it on.

glass man

Reaction score
WOW! Would make a great birthday gift for some one...mine is next month![:)] REALLY GLAD FOR YOU!!!!JAMIE

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
glass man said:
WOW! Would make a great birthday gift for some one...mine is next month![:)] REALLY GLAD FOR YOU!!!!JAMIE

Yeah, mine is Sunday. ;)*Chuckles.* It's a dang good bottle. I love how off-center the pontil is.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hello Adhdigger and all, After getting email from three people on this post I decided to update this post. Same era, could it be the same company? Why not? This is a link to a spinner on Wisconsin Antique & Advertising Club website. This link is to a three dimensional rendering od the Pint Sized example of the bottle. I am likely going to be doing this kind of production for the Federation of Historic Bottle Collectors in the virtual museum. A great project but an insane undertaking. Filming antique glass like this is not as easy as it might seem. http://www.wisantique.com/antiqueAdvertisingSpinners/Bourbons-Bitters-Madison-Wisconsin This is the story of the first. 10/02/2010
Forest_Bitters_whole_FOR_SITE.jpg
At the end of every summer the final tally of Wisconsin antique bottle finds for the year starts to come in. People clean out attics, basements and garages and Wisconsin antique bottle treasures filter their way to collectors. Divers, diggers, construction workers and people out enjoying Wisconsin Summer start working to figure out what they have found at the end of summer more than any other time. A few weeks ago I received an email from one such gentleman who found a bottle on a warm summer day working just blocks from the Wisconsin state capitol. Jim was on the site of a new home construction. There was a stage coach house that had to be demolished first. While raising the building what Jim believed to be a cistern was unearthed. The thing was full of old Wisconsin bottles. One of Jim's coworkers was feeding bottles to a local collector who was paying $5 for any green or blue tinted bottles. When the hole was cleaned out and the bottom of the hole had to be leveled Jim was scraping the bottom of the area with a shovel and banged against one last bottle. He threw it in the back of his truck where it rolled around for a week then took it home. One of Jim's coworkers told the collector about that last unusual looking antique Wisconsin bottle Jim found. The collector offered a whopping $200 for it without even seeing it! Not a bad bonus for a day's work, especially for a nineteen
forest_pontil_FOR_SITE.jpg
year old fledgling construction worker. Jim decided not to sell. Now months later, Just like happens at the end of so many summers Jim decided to find out what that bottle he found was really worth. Unlike so many people who find bottles Jim waited 35 years to make contact, yep, Jim found this antique Wisconsin bottle treasure in 1975 a full 420 months and 35 years before he made contact. I will eventually write the whole story of this bottle. For now you will simply have to settle for a couple of pictures. Jim's bottle; Dr. Bourbon's Aromatic Forest Bitters Madison, Wisconsin. Deep aqua in excellent condition AND iron pontiled. While you are looking check out this spinner of a friend's bottle... http://www.wisantique.com/antiqueAdvertisingSpinners/Bryants-Stomach-Bitters If anyone has any early colored, pontiled or unique Wisconsin bottles they are considering selling I have personally set the record price paid for almost every genre of bottle other than maybe Milk Bottles. If those are antique yet. And even then I am probably close. I own the only two whole examples of the bitters. Crazily in two different sizes, one each. Not sure this is Wisconsin and so many people love to assign pedigree to bottles without a name to add value. Either way it is American and a great find. Congratulations!!! If you ever have any questions or want to know anything about Wisconsin bottles i have a ton of information as does the Wisconsin Antique and Advertising Club. We love to share. Hope you all are well! All the best, Steven (mrbottles)www.mrbottles.com

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH