Dr.D Jayne's pottery bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sldavis

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm going to try to post a pic of my DR.D Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge crock bottle

B3C8CAC316A8451DAC9CC70B3525442D.jpg

Attachments

• B3C8CAC316A8451DAC9CC70B3525442D.jpg
    B3C8CAC316A8451DAC9CC70B3525442D.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 44

whiskeyman

Reaction score
SLDAVIS...yer pic looks good, just a bit blurry.
Bottle seems identical to the aqua glass D Jaynes Vermifuge....
Is this recently made ? Looks kinds new to me.[&:]
There are people who can make molds from bottles and create a pottery example. I've seen several of those through the years. Most are obvious fakes.

There's one fellow in the midwest turning out fake mini jugs...people have gotten burned with them too.
You have any additional pix ?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That's an interesting piece. It would be pretty valuable if you can document that it is 19th century. It appears that it may be a recent mold made from a jayne's bottle but its really hard to judge something like that from a photo. The good part is you get to do all the fun reasearch and investigating to prove what it is. [;)]

sldavis

Reaction score
The bottle looks nice but what doesn't show is the white part is completly crazed like the glazing on the old crocks.The bottle is still full of dirt which of course someone could have buried it in a flower pot for awhile.I'm not sure of the age but i only gave $5.00 for it.If it should be documented how does one do that.I would be interesting in selling the bottle after i find out some more about it.Thanks fellows you always seem to help.Clinton

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Clinton, The crazing can be duplicated. about ten years ago there was some Chinese pottery going around my area and it was easly mistaken for the real thing. Who ever did it was a real pro. Check for refferances on the internet, books, libraries and ask everyone you can think of who may know. Write all the info you get down.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If it should be documented how does one do that

You can basically research it from 2 directions...
1. make the assumption that it is a period piece and research the Jayne business and other similar bottles like the ceramic Kilmers. If you can find other specimins that were dug it would be a good indication that it is original.
2. Make the assumption that it is recent. Start with where it was found or where it came from and see if you can trace who made it. Are there similar items? Search for other reproductions based on the glaze and manfufacturing technique.

If its totally hollow like a bottle then someone went to a good bit of trouble to make a mold and there are probably more around. Assuming it wasnt made in an actually bottle mold.

You may want to try to contact this guy who had this ad on the Glass Works site...

PONTILED PHILADELPHIA BOTTLES WANTED: Collector/researcher of medicines, sodas, beers, etc. Also interested in pre-1880 advertising billheads related to these bottles. Also looking for anything from Dr. Jayne's (bottles, advertising, almanacs, tins, etc.). Please contact: BOB DALY, 41 E. 4th St., New Castle, DE 19720. or call PH: (302) 322-0930 or email: beetledaly@verizon.net 01/08

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL