Dr. Hostetters, & Hop Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MrShotgun

Reaction score
I was just wondering about the value of these bottles.

hopbitters.jpg

bitters.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi MrShotgun ,
If the Doyle's is Amber and in mint condition...... I would say 50.00 - 100.00 range. They are up and down . I have seen them sell for 50.00 and for as high as 125.00 several years back with the labels intact. A Doyles in Amber is very common and without labels would probably sell in the 25.00 - 35.00 dollar range.
As for the Hostetter's ..... Does it have any base embossing ? These labeled Hossi's in Amber sell in the 25.00 - 50.00 range. If it has base embossing .... maybe the higher end of that estimate , if not ... than the lower end . Unless it is some rare base embossing.... these are very common in Amber also.
Are both bottles Amber in coloration ??? And do either have anything embossed on the base ?

mudmonkey

Reaction score
4 years ago i bought a hostetters with full labels and full contents for 50.dollers

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
That sounds about right ! Hostetter's is the most common Bitters out there..... and a lot have shown up with labels in recent years. I have seen quite a few Amber examples go on ebay with labels quite a bit cheaper than 50.00 . But , they didn't have contents either !!
They haven't increased much ( if any ) in value over the last 10 years or so . Unless they are in the Olive larger mold variant , or the smaller mold variants in unusual colorations or rare base markings. The Ambers , and labeled Ambers are just to common to go up in value much.

MrShotgun

Reaction score
There are no liquid contents, but there is half of a cork in the top that looks like it was chewed away by something and there appears to be a dark substance in the bottom of the bottle.

drh.jpg

Reaction score
Good morning; I've collected since the mid sixties and have a pretty good grip on currrent values. According to Wilson / Western Bitters / 1971, the Hostetters with the "A" base mark dates ca. 1871. The crudity, coupled the applied top and roughly 90% label covereage make it a notch above the standard run Hostetters. Unfortunately, with the exception of the mis-spelled variants, off colors and the early black glass examples, the bottles value has remained pretty stable over the past few years. I'd agree with previous estimates posted in response to you inquiry. Best of luck.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday