Dr. Soules Hop Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

annie44

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the Dr. Soules bottles found overseas and the ones found in the United States? I know that there is with the Udolpho Wolfes, and that the American made ones command a higher price in general.

Also, is the reverse "S" in Soules a common mold error, or is it a harder to find variant?

Does anyone know how many colors the Dr. Soule's come in?

I have a peachy colored one and am awaiting receipt of a dark amber one with a reverse "S".

Thanks!!

stinger haut

Reaction score
I used to collect Dr. Soules. I had everything from aqua, amber, puce, yellow, peach, green, citron, black glass (no cobalt).
You can easily make a collection out of Dr. Soules.
The American ones always seem to command higher prices. I think the black glass was from England.
Stinger

annie44

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Still wondering if there is a difference in the ones manufactured in the United States and those from Europe and other countries.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Annie44 ,
I really can't see any real differences in the molds. It seems that the Black ones ( " A " or a " B " embossed on the base ) are from overseas .
Your reverse " S " is rare . I have only seen 4 or 5 of them in the past . I had an dark Olive green example with the reverse " S ". It is the only one with the reverse " S " I have owned.

FD3FE6446FC24C5BAB7B59281602790D.jpg

Attachments

• FD3FE6446FC24C5BAB7B59281602790D.jpg
    FD3FE6446FC24C5BAB7B59281602790D.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 114

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: stinger haut

I used to collect Dr. Soules. I had everything from aqua, amber, puce, yellow, peach, green, citron, black glass (no cobalt).
You can easily make a collection out of Dr. Soules.
The American ones always seem to command higher prices. I think the black glass was from England.
Stinger

Stinger do you have a pic of the Aqua Soule's ?
That would be an extremely rare coloration for a Soule's . I'd love to see it !

annie44

Reaction score
Brian,
Thanks for your reply - what a great line-up in your photo! I'll post a picture of my bottle when it arrives.

Cindy

stinger haut

Reaction score
Brian,
Just about all my bitters are long gone.
I bought that one at the Pittsburgh Show in a dug condition. The seller was from I think was from N.J.? It was really dirty, so I was taking a chance by buying it.
It luckily came out really nice.
Sold it to a guy in Monterey, CA.
I saw another one at a N. Cal show years ago.
Both were made out of the U.S.
You used to see them come up for sale a lot in the past, not so much anymore.
Stinger

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: annie44

Brian,
Thanks for your reply - what a great line-up in your photo! I'll post a picture of my bottle when it arrives.

Cindy

Cindy did you get it in an ebay auction ? I saw one recently sell ..... I almost bid on it . If that is the one you got .......you got it at a great price. And I am glad I changed my mind and didn't bid . Please share pics when it arrives.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1