Dr. Taft / For Sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

John Sudul

Reaction score
Taking offers on this one. Mold seam runs 1/3rd way up the neck of the bottle. Smooth base bottom,but has four dots on base also(in each corner). The embossing reads "DR. TAFT S ASTHAMALENE NEW YORK". The same embossed dots are also on two edges of this bottle, they get closer together toward the top of the bottle. Nice aqua color, with large and small bubbles throughout the bottle.The crown top has a swirl completely around it , like an applied top. Nice strong embossing!![:D]

Xv63433.jpg

Attachments

• Xv63433.jpg
    Xv63433.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 109

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello John Sudul, 1999 kovel's price guide has this info,

(Medicine) Dr. Taft's Asthmalene, New York, Aqua, 8 In. $5.00

of course it is a 1999 price, not set in stone i'm sure, do you know of a current value?

John Sudul

Reaction score
I will never take another price guide price to heart. I have personally sold, alot of bottles priced in guides for four times the amount they suggested. I would absoluteley never sell this for $5 bucks!! Dont rely on the price guides as a bible, hold onto your bottle(s) and get several collectors opinions. John

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello john, i agree with you on the price guide, but it is just that, a guide, a starting off point, in the end the value will be placed with the buyer and after all it is more than just the price we put the value on, it is what we see and feel when we look at our bottle's that truely give's it a real value and i agree when looking to get a monetary value certainly getting other's opinion's would be the smartest idea, i hope i did not offend you in any way.

John Sudul

Reaction score
Oh , No offense taken, Tim. Your right , value is based on collectors" want" value. That is where some serious money can come into play. Believe me, if you hold out for the price you want , you will probably find the collector who will pay it. If you are an honest, reputable dealer!! Sometimes that is hard to find!!!!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi John, it also goes the other way when it comes to some of the better known price guides.[8|] I had a post last month for a teal JSP bottle identified in Michael Polak's price guide as a 'rare' food jar that he identifies as a 'UPS' bottle (pg.150 - 4th edition) and a value of $200-$300.[:D] Turns out it's a relatively common malt drink bottle worth $15-$20[:mad:] Talk about disappointment! Anyway, I use the guides for identification purposes and not so much for values. Unlike some of the members here, I really don't have any 'valuable' bottles. I have a lot of local medicines and cures, $25 - $125, that I had a blast finding and will sell them off when I get tired of looking at them[8D] You and Tim are correct, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

John Sudul

Reaction score
Hi Norm, Ouch!! That would be a real bummer to find out information from a price guide that way [:(] Just another reason not to trust those guides!! But they are great to have for specific info on bottles. I have found the same problem with arrrowhead price guides, they jack the price up to amounts that no collector is going to pay. My first nice arrowhead found this year was a Perkiomen Broadpoint!!!!! What a GREAT first for the year!!! Wish my bottle digging was going as well, but I brought home three nice red pyro milks and the pyro washed off all of them[:(]

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hey guys!! speaking of arrowheads..my boyfriend is a "headhunter" as he calls himself[:D] he has a beautiful collection..started in this Illinois country when he was just a kid..do you guys know of any forums that are just for arrowhead hunters, like ours?? just wondering...also as far as price guides go for both hobbies, we have found that they are just guides..fair market value is what the buyer is willing to pay for it..I have never sold any of my bottles...said boyfriend has sold many a arrowhead for a good price..he used the guides to just give him an idea of what it was worth..I on the other hand, at this time do not have anything of value, except to me[:)] happy hunting to all..

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi again Susanne, you said in an earlier post, that the locals might refer to you as a 'Yank', are you from the Northeast or New England originally?

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hey Norm, and good morning[:D] Sorry I did not answer last night...I went to bed..I am from the Northwest..Wash State...but as far as anyone here thinks, we are all Yanks if we came from anywhere north of the Mason Dixon Line[:D] they tease me all the time[:mad:] they say I talk funny[&:] this is an old area..lot's of history[8D] the more I learn, the more I want to find out..it is so exciting to get back into the bottle hunting thing, and have such a rich area in which to start all over..so much older then Wash State...but it still is not as old as where you are...would love to see Maine one of these days...mmmmm...lobster...[;)] have a good day

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide