Drakes Plantation Copy-cat???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mimiziggy

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, at a public auction, I purchased what was listed to be a Drakes Plantation Bitters Bottle. On the bottom of the bottle, someone had taped a paper that said " Drakes Plantation Bitters Bottle, rare " and the price of $48.00 The paper was yellowed and bittle and looked to have been on the bottle a long time. I don' t have alot of knowledge on Drakes bottles, but the bottle had some bubbles and some wear on the bottom....and I liked it, so I bought it. When I got home, I looked up Drakes bottle on line and soon discovered that it didn' t look like the Drakes bottles I was finding........can you help?? What did I buy?
I have other pictures, but I could only get one to attach.....lol (I' m new at this)

Wu61053.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi ,
What you have there is a Drake' s Copy Cat. I believe it was made to look like a Drake' s Bottle to cut in on the market of one of the most popular selling Bitters of it' s time , The S.T. Drake' s Plantation.
I have a copy cat in the excact same mold as yours that you have pictured . Except mine has a big red iron pontil. Is yours pontiled also ?
It was a big mystery to me also , until I did a little research ! With the Copy cat being pontiled , I thought surely this bottle had to pre date the Drake' s of the 1870' s. But , It does not pre date the Drake' s , as some Glasshouses didn' t change over to the more modern styles of bottle making right away ( as it was exspensive) , and some pontiled bottles were made well into the 1870' s and 1880' s .
It' s still a nice Cabin , that I have seen sell in the 100.00 to 400.00 range . Depending on condition , color , smooth base or pontiled . Hope this helps !

Mimiziggy

Reaction score
Thanks Brian for your help. I was told by another gentleman that it could be a copy-cat. Here is a picture of the bottom.

Vt58057.jpg

Attachments

• Vt58057.jpg
    Vt58057.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 75

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1