dug a squat

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

groundsloth

Reaction score
Dug a squat of some kind.Anyone know anything about this bottle? It's too bad the embossing is not a person's name or something more exotic, but at least the shape is nice.

Attachments

• 1eec3b9fc4a54a8fb642e05ba994373b.jpg
    1eec3b9fc4a54a8fb642e05ba994373b.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 79
  • c0aefdfbc46b468eb9e5538b480f7a47.jpg
    c0aefdfbc46b468eb9e5538b480f7a47.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 84

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well you found a beauty. That bottle even has a real applied and tooled blob top finish, Your pictures are goode, but I have bad eyesw so I like to see the embossing typed out in the presentation. We also shoiuod have a picture of the boittoim, because the bottle had to be empontilled to put the finish on- which I would expect to be a prevcious blow pipe open pontil.If you are into selling - I am a potential buyer. RED Matthews

groundsloth

Reaction score
Bottle is embossed:pROVINCIAL BOTTLING COMPANYNO. 520 WEST 43RD STNEW YORKREGISTERED There is no pontil scare, it is a smooth base.Also, the lip is tooled, not applied.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well, I would like to be of more help. I have to assume that saying the finish was tooled only applied glass got tooled.,. So the next question is: are there two vertical seams on the finish? If there are, then the bottle was made on a glass machine. I am here a few hours every day to try and help the new collectors of glass. I have been involved with glass collecting for almost 78 years now. started collecting at 9 and am now 86. I have well over 2000 collected glass products that my daughter will have the job of selling, when I am gone. It is a great hobby. One of my best is a glass bottle with the threads just above the heal. And it gets covered with a tin can with the bottom on top and threads that turn down on the heal to close the bottle. The bottle also has a wooden stopper that used to have swab on a wire in the shoe polish. Oh well they are fun. RED Matthews

groundsloth

Reaction score
Thanks, Red. I am a little confused though. I thought that an applied lip was an actual separate piece of glass added to the neck and a "tooled lip" involved a tool to shape the glass on the lip of the bottle. I see the difference on an applied lip 1870's bottle that I have versus the early bromoseltzer bottles that are BIM.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Early hand blown glass was blown and shaped in a blow pipe. What they blew, had to be swhaoped, either on a marver table or in a dip mold. After it was formedl, they attached a punty rod or their previous blow pip0e to the bottom of the new bottle. This action put a handle on the hot glass, so they could sever it from the blow pipe. After that severing was dont the bottle maker took a gather of hot gflass from the furnace pot, and appolied some of it to the top of his new bottle. As soon as that was done, he had to tool that hot glass to the desired finish the bottle was to have. There are a lot of different finishes and some required special shaping tools to shape them. Earlly ones were blob tops, which were formed with a tool that shaped them to a round ball shape - we call a blob top today. There are a couple hundred finishes for yoiu to study about. So there, I have to go to supper now. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey