Dug Shaft and Globe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ChrisP1

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

It was amazing and I will never forget it...

I did see your post previously...loved the map especially. All of your posts are amazing. As far as I know there were no Dutch out here on the East End. Southold is the first English colony in NY (1640). Most of the things I find in my yard are English although there is some German stoneware and a little Delft (all really typical colonial material in keeping with Hume's "Artifacts of colonial America"). As far as the Newb label I put that in when I first joined because I was always into pottery and never bottles. Now that I have moved into the bottles and done some research, especially on the earlier stuff, I may be able to remove that although my recent purchase of those mallets may argue otherwise.

I may want to post the dig although I would need to find the other pics.

I have many other sites to dig but I don't think I will find anything that early. I will surely post what I find.

ChrisP

sandchip

Reaction score
What an incredible find! Good for you, Chris and thanks for sharing it with us.

fer_de_lance

Reaction score
Chris, Your find has got to be my favorite thus far of following this site. I couldn't help myself but to ask if it was on the market. Please continue to post your finds whether it be bottles or pottery. Tim
ChrisP1 said:
Thanks Tim and Jim,

Definitely the highlight of my bottle collection so far and not something I would part with. I am lucky enough to live in a area and on property that was settled in the early 1600's. I have a pancake and several mallets that I have dug in my yard that I am hoping to find the rest of... I now have access to GPR that I am hoping will help me do just that.

ChrisP

nhpharm

Reaction score
Chris, I am sure you know the value of these...but in case you don't...the full size shaft and globe in the most recent Glass Works Auction is up to $9,500. An incredible and historical find, especially considering that it was dug in the US! Wow...just wow.

ChrisP1

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies and feedback on this...the only bad thing is I don't imagine I will never be able top this. I guess it's all down hill from here! :)

Chris

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ChrisP1 said:
I appreciate all the replies and feedback on this...the only bad thing is I don't imagine I will ever be able top this. I guess it's all down hill from here! :)

Chris
Winos tend to repeat themselves Chris,there is another one nearby probably a few more he didn't just toss this one away....and who is to say it was a him, might be the maiden of the house maybe she wasnt a tea toatler after all......Look about 5 feet away from that one there is another one.....

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Chris they are beautyful and can be enjoyed for the rest of your life. I have collected for over 76 years and it is a great hobby and interesting to study how they were made. RED M>

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm guessing that was state sanctioned and maybe supervised, I see all the tools of the trade that should be used.If so did you get to keep it? If not, good job! You done it right. Some may have crammed a shovel down without thinking it through.That's a nice piece of history!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen