dump and cistern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Cisterns were used to catch rainwater, I actually have one in my basement.. They used to run the rain gutters into it so instead of going out to the old hand pump well you could get it from the cistern inside. The out-door cisterns I would geuss were the same purpose. Of course don't confuse cisterns with privies (outhouses).[:'(]
BOB

diggerjeff

Reaction score
here are some of my observations on digging cisterns. in town they were usually abandoned when city water was installed and usually the bottles you find are not much older than that. for instance city water came to my town in the mid 1920's and all the bottles and stuff are usually 1920+. with the exception of a situation were a house was added onto and the addition was built over the origional cistern.then you will usually find older bottles. i have found 3 on one property, one under the back porch , one next to the drive and one under a concrete cap behind the house. they are usually safe to dig if they are not holding water like designed. anytime you see a skimcoat of mortar it is a dead giveaway it is a cistern.i usually dont get to excited about them because if there is a cistern you will usually find privys . the bigger the house the bigger the cistern . i have dug some whoppers and have quit on a few also. i usually find about the same stuff on bottom as top . so i take them as ''what you see is what you get " and if the bottles are not old enough i stop and look for the outhouse.

madman

Reaction score
cement cistern 1917

Nl28277.jpg

madman

Reaction score
hey digger jeff they ran the pipes here in 1900s ,your right i found 1900s till 20s stuff in a barrell cistern, it was packed with bottles and was a fun adventure, at the time we were puzzled by the metal rings mike

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
OK ,in my area aswell as other places that date way way back,they use to use barrels,old washing machine "no motor empty shells",and also just wood box's for thier cistrines/privys...
Just last year my friend had his septic removed for the first time,and that house dates back to 1901!,.reguardless it was a rotted old box!........

MADMAN------ that first cistrine pic looks like somthing off one of them old gin stills.....lol,....

Por Med Man - be carful!,that pic that you posted when inside looks abit unsafe,.....
but i never went to the extent of going down that far,.........hope you get some good stuff!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday