e-bay-out of control!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Crazy auctions like that make it hard for us poor folks trying to write price guides.
Still, evertime I sell a bottle I hope the auction goes like that ... and it has a couple times. One auction paid for our vacation one year.
Pity the poor buyers ... wait a sec they must not be too poor?

baltbottles

Reaction score
Hi Kev I saw the Lynchs celebrated dyspepsia cordial on ebay that was one nice bottle. But i think that $6200 was cheap for the bottle I bet if the bottle had better picture and a more accurate description and was being some by a well known bottle dealer it would have brought a couple thousand more. And put it in hecklers or glassworks auction i wouldn't be supprised if it had gone for $10k I've seen colored pontiled meds that are much more common bring $6k on ebay.

Chris

APOTHEHUTCH

Reaction score
kev,theres a couple smoothbase (boring!) aqua soda bottles that come to mind that i would pay thousands for.it all come down to "how bad you want it".especially if you've been looking for a particular bottle(s) for 20 years(me!) also,like woody said,with lots of bidding going on,auctionfever can play a big role.

pupman

Reaction score
Well,it seems like alot of people like paying exorbitant prices for bottles,reminds me of the guy who boasts in a bottle magazine of bringing $100,000 to a bottle auction and not being able to spend it all! Sure makes it tough on the rest of us common people though.God bless!

blackbird

Reaction score
Hi guys I agree prices are sometimes foolish for sure. The question is who are these people going to sell these bottles to if need be. Did you see the cobalt ringed pepper sauce for 967.00 come on!! Sure it is rare in cobalt compaired to to green,clear or aqua. It was made around 1900 and I am sure it is far from rare really. It is pretty and people who have them keep them. Some people have alot of money to spend. I guess there really are two things here Rare and wanted. A friend of mine sold a clear screw top ABM bear bottle on e-bay for 37.00 listed as rare. You can find that same bottle under the table at any bottle show for 1.00. People trust the sellers as to whats rare. This helps and hurts the hobby for sure.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi ,
I agree that the peppersauce was high ! I have never seen a Cobalt one before ... So I'd say it is quite rare . But 900.00 + rare ???
I know ebay tells sellers to add rare to there descriptions to help sell an item. So all may not be the sellers fault on misleading the buyers about a certain item. Some sellers have little if any knowlege on bottles. But , some do and are misleading unknowlegable buyers .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its true I say ... he just sniped Donald Trump on a black glass Hostetter's for $59,000.
The big boys are in the bottle game now.
I'm listing 3 Davis OK Baking Soda bottles tomorrow for $99.95 to get a piece of the action[:)]. I've got a blue Bromoseltzer to sell but I'm holding back on that until the value gets above $500.
Ebay isnt out of control , the bottle market is just adjusting for the money being taken out of realestate.[:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday