Earliest ACL Royal Crown Cola redux

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
INCONCLUSIVE CONCLUSION Instead of bombarding this thread more than I already have with boring details about the four digit numbers found on the bases of Box-G Glenshaw soda bottles, based on my cataloged findings I feel its safe to assume at this juncture that, at least with the 1940s bottles, the four digit numbers are style codes. However, this does not necessarily apply to the so called G-1927 bottle, which still needs confirmation as to whether or not it is a Glenshaw bottle. But because I or no one else seems to have ever seen or heard of another glass manufacture to use a G on the lip, the odds are pretty good that the G-1927 bottle is a Glenshaw bottle. But whether the 1927 is a date or a code still remains to be determined. Thus, I am presently discontinuing my search for the more common four digit numbers and will be focusing everything on the G-1927 number.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Recap of the earlier lip codes found thus far ... G-1927 ? ~ H ~ GH ~ I ~ GI ~ J ~ GJ ~ K thru Y ? Based on the examples seen thus far, the double letters appear early on with GH for 1936 but seem to cease with GJ for 1938

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
If enough of us search, I'm sure we'll be able to find everything we need to know about ... J. WEINER & CO. INC. WOODBRIDGE, N.J ... including when they were established, other bottles that might have been distributed by them, especially any that have a large four digit number on the base such as 1927. Just copy/paste the name to your favorite search engine and I bet in no time flat we'll find something interesting.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I don't know when bottler J. Weiner & Co. was first established, but according to this 1924 publication they were in operation at that time. If the link doesn't go directly to the page where they are listed, just use the arrow and "flip" to Page 39. And if it appears in a weird red format, just click on where it says "Full Text" and the actual book will appear. The book can be enlarged to full-screen and the pages are easy to save like the one below ... https://archive.org/details/officialbook255t00wood

Attachments

• 8383a8419fbe403288a2a175ecd84a33.jpg
    8383a8419fbe403288a2a175ecd84a33.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 102

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I seam to remember looking into Weiner a while back but the page you showed wasn't open for me at this moment.Something about racing is what I remember. Was that it?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey, cows I'm glad you showed up. I was looking at a forum thread earlier by member Wheelah23 who is the same Wheelah from the other forum where I found the G-1927 bottle. He talks about the same bottle here but the pictures won't open. Is there anything you can do to make the pictures open? And if not that, maybe you have a way of working around things so you can save and post the pictures for us. Anything you can do in this regard will be appreciated. Here's the link ... https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/A-dump-FINALLY-FOUND-ONE-m347697.aspx Thanks, Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. The pictures I'm referring to are on Post # 7

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yup, that's the Conner I referred to many posts ago. I can't do much about the pics, they were hosted on imageshack. If he deleted them you'll have to ask him like I mentioned back then. Maybe he still has them on his computer.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
cows Thanks Perhaps one of the members who reads this is friends with Wheelah23 and will do us a courtesy and contact him. If not, I'll wait a couple of days and contact him myself. In the meantime, I found this "scrunched" image of what is described as a Jim Weiner beer bottle from Woodbridge, N.J. The scrunched look is deceiving and I'm pretty sure its a typical clear glass beer bottle. But there was no other information related to it. At least I have a possible first name to work with because the J by itself wasn't producing many results. I can't imagine there being more that one bottler in Woodbridge, New Jersey with the name "Weiner." However, based on this that and the other, I'm beginning to think there is a more than likely possibility the 1927 is the date for when the G-1927 bottle was made. Which takes us back to Morb's 1931 magazine where the lips all have a G, meaning the practice of putting a G on the lips of Glenshaw bottles could have started as early as 1927 or even earlier. ??? < Note the question marks Here's the link where I found the Jim Weiner beer bottle, which also has a ton of other historic pictures for anyone specifically interested in Woodbridge, New Jersey history ... http://mhswebtvprinting.tripod.com/woodbridgetownshiphistory.html

Attachments

• 95289f32971049488b3ec5de75410f2e.jpg
    95289f32971049488b3ec5de75410f2e.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 104

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Here's the way things look to me at the moment ...

Glenshaw Glass Company Bottle Codes
Codes referred to are on the bottle lip/reinforcing ring

G-Solo ... Used as early as 1927 and possibly earlier. G stands for Glenshaw

(Box-G logo most likely introduced in 1932)

(No Solo-G code is currently known which coexist with Box-G logo)

H & GH .. First codes to coexist with Box-G logo and both represent 1936
I & GI ... Both represent 1937
J & GJ .. Both represent 1938

(Double letter codes apparently cease in 1938)

K-Solo ... Represents 1939
L thru Z . Solo codes continue with an L for 1940 to Z for 1954

(After 1954-Z the codes continue with ... )

A = 1955
B = 1956
C = 1957
D = 1958 ... Last lip code used and practice is discontinued

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen