EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
The bottom of the bottle has "G 60" and "77-700" embossed in it.
Could you tell me if you know what these mean? Possibly from 1960?

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

morbious_fod ~

I just got back from purchasing a super-duper magnifying glass, and was able to make out some more details on my Orange Crush bottle. Now I can clearly make out the Owens Illinois symbol that is a diamond/circle embossed exactly like the one on your example. And what I thought said "Root" is something else entirely, although I can't make it out clearly. Otherwise, the only other readable numbers on the bottom are as follows ... (But nothing on the heel or label)

1. A "20" on the left side of the diamond, and a "3?" on the right side of the diamond.

2. Plus, a "7844 - G" on the other portion of the bottom.

I'm thinking the "44" may be a clue (1944 ?) , but I'm not sure.

It's no big deal really, and I may be trying to make something out of nothing. I just can't stand the fact I only have one bottle that is pre-1939. I also know these amber Orange Crush bottles were used for years. So don't rack your brain over this. I'll survive!

Thanks again,

Bob

the number on the left side of the symbol is the glass plant that made the bottle, the one on the right side is the date. Look for a small dot on the right side of the 3. The 44 isn't the date, it is more possible that it is a 1943, because the amber Orange Crush bottles were introduced in 1939.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
morbious_fod ~

Thanks for bursting my bubble again! Lol [:D] (Just kidding). My Orange Crush has the 3. (dot), so I guess that means 1943, and I'm back to only one 1939 bottle again. Oh well ... you can just sell me your "Heep Good" bottle shown on page three. (My favorite one so far). It will go real well with a couple of other 1950s "Heep Good's" that I have.

Unless I've lost track of things, it appears that "wonkapete's" 7up bottle on page four is the earliest ACL thus far, (1935). Not that this is a competion, it's not. I mention this only as a reminder, with the hope that other 1935/36/37 bottles will turn up. But it appears this may be a fairly tall order to fill.

Thanks again to all,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[align=left]Wonkapete's post on page 4 regarding the 1935 7up bottle got me extremely interested in reading the entire article by Bill Lockhart. So I did a search and found a link to it here on Antique-Bottles.net It was part of a discussion on April 22, 2008. A large part of the discussion was contributed by "thesodafizz", a.k.a. Kathy (who everyone knows but me). But rather than just post a link to the article, I thought it would be more fun to copy/paste it here for all to enjoy. I had to edit out the references to illustrations, etc., as it would only distract from the flow of the article. I hope you enjoy it.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Thanks wonkapete ... this Bud ... er, I mean 7up is for you![/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]SPB[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] ~ * ~[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Bill Lockhart Article : [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Applied Color Lettering was introduced by the Owens-Illinois[/align][align=left]Glass Co. in 1934 and was quickly copied by the leading soda[/align][align=left]bottle manufacturers. The earliest, probably experimental ACL[/align][align=left]Seven-Up bottle had a white label and was made in 1935 by the[/align][align=left]Huntington, West Virginia factory of Owens-Illinois. The bottle[/align][align=left]was marked: “7 up / ALKALINE REACTION / THE GAS[/align][align=left]PURIFIES†below the “up†and a bold underline beneath it all[/align][align=left]Apparently, the test market for the Alkaline Reaction bottle[/align][align=left]was not positive, and the company seems to have returned to a[/align][align=left]reliance on paper labels in 1936, although one amber bottle was[/align][align=left]probably made during that year. This amber bottle does not fit[/align][align=left]the typical pattern and may have just been a prototype bottle.[/align][align=left]Instead of the typical red-orange shield with a white “7up†and[/align][align=left]white ACL swim-suit lady and outline, this bottle had a white[/align][align=left]shield with the lady and outline in what may have been red[/align][align=left]Hopefully, I will eventually see the base of one of[/align][align=left]these and find out just what year it was made.[/align][align=left]Typically, however, the next stage began in 1937. The[/align][align=left]“slenderizing†lady lost her word (slenderizing) and acquired a[/align][align=left]swim suit. The shield was red-orange, and everything else in[/align][align=left]ACL was white. Like the paper label, the shield contained eight[/align][align=left]bubbles. During 1938, someone noticed that eight[/align][align=left]bubbles did not match well with Seven-up. As a result, the labels[/align][align=left]from 1938 on contained seven bubbles. With one[/align][align=left]exception, this configuration and color scheme remained in use[/align][align=left]until 1953. The exception occurred during[/align][align=left]World War II, but the exact dates have not[/align][align=left]been published that I know of. The swim[/align][align=left]suit bottle lost its red-orange shield –[/align][align=left]probably, sometime between 1942 and[/align][align=left]1945. The red pigment was[/align][align=left]saved for war use. With peace, the redorange[/align][align=left]shield returned. The final change we will deal with in[/align][align=left]this article involved the loss of the swimsuit[/align][align=left]lady or “bubble girl.†The new label had[/align][align=left]extra lines around the shield and the words[/align][align=left]“YOU LIKE IT IT LIKES YOU†below. This[/align][align=left]label was in use from 1953 to at least 1968.[/align]

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

morbious_fod ~

Thanks for bursting my bubble again! Lol [:D] (Just kidding). My Orange Crush has the 3. (dot), so I guess that means 1943, and I'm back to only one 1939 bottle again. Oh well ... you can just sell me your "Heep Good" bottle shown on page three. (My favorite one so far). It will go real well with a couple of other 1950s "Heep Good's" that I have.

Unless I've lost track of things, it appears that "wonkapete's" 7up bottle on page four is the earliest ACL thus far, (1935). Not that this is a competion, it's not. I mention this only as a reminder, with the hope that other 1935/36/37 bottles will turn up. But it appears this may be a fairly tall order to fill.

Thanks again to all,

SPB

The Heep Good isn't one of mine. LOL!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Good Morning!

All is well in "Earthquakeville." Still getting numerous aftershocks, but otherwise okay-ay-ay.

Following are a few photos of my 1939 "Lockhart" Texas bottle. It's the same bottle that morbious_fod posted an image of on page three. On page 19 & 20 of my ACL book there is a brief history of the town of Lockhart, Texas, as well as some interesting information regarding the bottle itself. Part of which says ...

"Surrounding the front label is a stylized depiction of milo, which is a grain sorghum resembling millet. It is grown extensively in the region and is primarily used as a feed grain for livestock."

It goes on to say that Lockhart is farming country, and that it's citizens were so proud of their milo crops, they decided to include it on the labels of the town's only locally bottled soda pop. Now that's what I call the pride of the people! (Of course, Coca Cola was also bottled at the plant, but that's another story).

SPB

(See next two post for additional photos).

FF6D7D38C2B2437BB242D41E9FB86207.jpg

Attachments

• FF6D7D38C2B2437BB242D41E9FB86207.jpg
    FF6D7D38C2B2437BB242D41E9FB86207.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 75

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the back side of the bottle ...

70A7E38611A24BE6891EF8CE69F8F796.jpg

Attachments

• 70A7E38611A24BE6891EF8CE69F8F796.jpg
    70A7E38611A24BE6891EF8CE69F8F796.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 67

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And last, but not least, a closeup of the ... 3 L G W 9 (1939). Seriously, that's a 9 on the right!

Thanks,

SPB

4B6DA2C85556479E82553FB060B9BB73.jpg

Attachments

• 4B6DA2C85556479E82553FB060B9BB73.jpg
    4B6DA2C85556479E82553FB060B9BB73.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 74

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is copy/pasted from a Microsoft Works page where I have started a file on various aspects of 1930s ACL soda bottles. That way I can add to it more easily than posting a jillion different pages on A-B.net. (And then only re-post it here as needed).

This particular file is what I call an “Advanced†aspect to my 1930s ACL soda bottle thread, and will focus on the various “Slogans†of the period. The list is incomplete, and needs updating. But this can only be achieved by members interested in participating. The so called rule I have set for myself is to only list slogans from bottles already posted on the thread, (or to be posted), as these are the ones I feel best fit the overall scheme of things. But I know that some of the slogans are on the backs of the bottles, thus, unknown to me. So what I ask of those interested, and who have the information available, is to either share the slogan online, or else send it to me via a personal e-mail for my records. I know this is a lot to ask, and I will totally understand if you choose not to participate. And to make it simple for those who do post online, I recommend doing it like the following …

1935 7up … “7up - Alkaline Reaction - The Gas Purifiesâ€
1936 Winner … “Always The Bestâ€
1936 Was-Cott … “Superior Since 191?†< I need the last number.
1937 Natural Set Up … “Just Naturally Betterâ€
1937 Big Cola … “A Whale of a Good Drinkâ€
193? Red Rock … “America’s Finestâ€
1939 Lockhart … “Good and Good for Youâ€
1939 Tazewell … “A Delicious Drinkâ€

So if it’s not too much to ask, please check the backs of the bottles not listed here, and share those wonderful slogans with the rest of us. As long as we are at it, we might as well make this the most comprehensive 1930s ACL soda bottle “Book†on the internet. And regarding new bottle photos, please list the slogans along with your posted images. And please keep in mind, this is for 1930s ACLs only. (For those who have already posted photos, it's not necessary to re-post another image of it - but rather just the slogan itself). Thanks.

Interesting side-note: In compiling this list I noticed a connection between the “Was-Cott†bottle on page one, and the “Tazewell†bottle on page four. On the label of the "Was-Cott" bottle it clearly says it’s from Tazewell, Virginia. Surely this is more than coincidence. And surely the “Tazewell†bottle is also from Tazewell, Virginia. ???

Thanks for allowing me to expound on this thread ... and especially for not yelling at me for what might appear as going a bit overboard.

Sincerely,

SODAPOPBOB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter