EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I recently came across several references stating that Pepsi Cola introduced their first ACL bottle in 1934. The copy/pasted quote below is from one of the sites, and the photo w/info is from another. I realize this claim may be challenged by some, and I welome this as I am a little skeptical myself. But from everything I have been able to ascertain so far, the claim seems to have some validity. If such a bottle truly does exist, surely someone among us must have an example. I apologize for the photo, as it appears to be overexposed, but it the best and only example I could find of one of these so called (appx.) 1934 ACL Pepsi Cola bottles. (I can't make out in the photo whether or not the one on the far left says "Sparkling" - Plus, it is a single-dot, which also confuses me somewhat). Please double-check your collections and see if you have one. Other than the photo below, everything else I found from this period has a paper label.

Thanks,

SPB

{Quote}

Painted label bottles date from 1934 and are known within the bottling business as Applied Color Labels or ACL. The Pepsi-Cola Company was the first to introduce the ACL bottle on a then unheard of 12-ounce bottle (twice the size of Coke), which they sold for a nickel. To help market the new colored label bottle, the company came up with a dandy new slogan with famous lyrics that are still remembered by many today:

Pepsi-Cola hits the spot
Twelve full ounces, that's a lot
Twice as much for a nickel, too
Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you.

D332A4192680436BB568815B6D2BD9FA.jpg

Attachments

• D332A4192680436BB568815B6D2BD9FA.jpg
    D332A4192680436BB568815B6D2BD9FA.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 75

simpleman

Reaction score
Ive had this Chero-Cola bottle for some time. Im new to collecting & new to the forum, but saw your post about Chero-Cola with a yellow label. Here the pic.

embossed around the base - MIN. CONTENTS 6 FLUID OUNCES
embossed on the bottom - DES. PAT. 101483 NEHI BEV. CO. LOUISVILLE. KY. 3 (SYMBOL) 2.

06463CA463D146738ED4C3BD3EF95FF9.jpg

Attachments

• 06463CA463D146738ED4C3BD3EF95FF9.jpg
    06463CA463D146738ED4C3BD3EF95FF9.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 81

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
simpleman ~

Welcome to A-B.net

Your Chero-Cola bottle was made by the Owens-Illinois glass plant #3 located in Huntington, West Virginia. The 2. indicates it was made in 1942. Nice bottle. I recently purchased a similar one myself. Although not the earliest of the ACLs, it's still a nice example. Thanks for sharing.

And for those who would like specifics on dating Owens-Illinois bottles, the link below should answer all your questions. It's a little long and detailed, but worth studying and saving for a future reference. The site also has additional information of interest.

SPB

http://www.sha.org/research_resources/newsletter_articles/lockhart.cfm

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding my recent post showing the five different Pepsi Cola bottles, (Which was put together by the "North Carolina Museum of History") I just discovered where the 2nd bottle from the left is incorrect. They indicate it as a 1890 (amber). But everyone knows that the Crown Closure wasn't invented until 1892. So now I have to place the entire collection into question. I guess it's possible they got the 1890 one mixed up with the 1900 (amber) on the far right which has a "lightning stopper?" But that too has a crown top, so I'm really not sure now what to make of it all. Other than it is more than just a little confusing. I guess even some the so called "experts" make mistakes sometimes.

In any event, if someone happens to have a 1934/35/36 example of an ACL Pepsi Cola bottle, I sure would like to see it.

Thanks,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Additional Note;

I just remembered that Pepsi Cola wasn't even officially established until 1898. Prior to 1898 it was called "Brad's Drink." So the dates must be a typo of some kind. I guess now I will have to write the North Carolina Museum of History a harshly worded letter ... Lol [:D] (Unless I'm the mixed one one here). ???

SPB

bhainesinnc

Reaction score
I may be a little slow, but been trying to figure out what the L G W means?? Been reading the post, and looking at some acl's, have noticed this before, so maybe I need it spelled out for me:)

bhainesinnc

Reaction score
Seriously, I get it now, I can date some of the bottles............

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Becky,

That whole bottom of the bottle business is a completely different world. Try this:

"L G W..................Laurens Glass Works, Laurens, SC (1910-1996). Plants also operated in Henderson, NC (opened 1957) and Ruston, LA. The Henderson and Ruston plants are now part of Saint-Gobain Containers. NOTE: In some instances certain older (pre-1900) bottles or flasks with the marking "L & W" (indicating Lorenz and Wightman) are misunderstood to read "L. G. W.", and because of an entry in Toulouse's Bottle Makers and their Marks, this mark is believed to stand for Louisville Glass Works. I do not believe Louisville Glass Works ever marked ANY items with the initials "L G W". If you have information that might show otherwise, please feel free to contact me with details." From.

The above site is one that is very useful, in my opinion.

Wong_Howe.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen