Early 1800's Cellar Hole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Used my GPS with coordinates from 1892 Topo map to find this one. It is about 1 1/2 miles back in the woods now. Found 2 old dug wells with granite tops. There is a huge foundation and an old barn foundation. From size of trees in cellar hole looks like the place burned down about 1900. Found nearby family cemetary with just couple stones left standing, dating from early to late 1800's, no signs anyone has hunted bottles or metal detected here. Should be a good pontil dump here somewhere. Planning to do more searching this weekend. Should be fun, hope to find something. Picture of East end of cellar hole. It's still about 6-8 ft deep even after the place burned.

Wu60079.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60079.jpg
    Wu60079.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 88

JohnRoy

Reaction score
Dang, you guys really inspire me... I've been sort of bored for years, but now I have a new hobby! I'm going to meet with a member of the local historical society soon to see if he can direct me to some old local area maps of Augusta, GA, and the surrounding area. He used to be my Youth Minister years ago, but now he is in hospital administration...
-John

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Looks like a good one Cliff. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

Joel

portland med. man

Reaction score
you outta sign that tree up for the largest tree registry .... can i come dig that hole place up all the walls and every where good luck and keep us posted......

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Update.
Went back to cellar hole Saturday with Larry and Paul, determined to find pontil dump. Larry made the find of the day,open pontil sarsaparilla with the base sticking up out of the leaves. Embossed front J.L.KELLY & CO/CHEMISTS/PORTLAND,ME left side KELLY&CO and right side SARSAPARILLA. In good shape but will need to be tumbled to restore it. Lot of contents still coating inside. This must be long neck variant of the one listed as rare in DeGrafft's American Sarsaparilla book. It's about 3/4 in taller than the one illustrated in the book. Any info on value etc. is appreciated.

Hf97686.jpg

Attachments

• Hf97686.jpg
    Hf97686.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 83

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Some other stuff found in the area around where the sarsaparilla bottle was found. Lots of hand forged iron nails and etc. Nice little R W WALKER/BOSTON cologne bottle. Cleaned up nice, not pontilled but very close. That's the sarsaparilla in photo too.

Vt57265.jpg

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Oh yes, we did find the main pontil dump. It was under a couple wagon loads of boulders and field stones, a real tear jerker. Guess they were pros at crushing the pontil bottles,not one survived. Found pieces of several different kinds of bitters, embossed medicines, colored flasks etc.etc. Saved a bunch of pieces and bases at least but still got to do more searching. No privey found yet, may even be something in bottom of cellar hole,plan to do some more metal detecting as well. there should be a later 1800's trash pit somewhere too. Ye Olde Prospector contemplating by the old wishing well after seeing all the broken pontilled bottles. Lots of un looking anyway.

Tr51911.jpg

Attachments

• Tr51911.jpg
    Tr51911.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 84

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey