Easley SC Chero-Cola

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jpoland13

Reaction score
Need some help finding out some information about these bottles. I live in Easley and other than these two the only mention I've ever seen about these was on this forum about 3 years ago. Can anyone help with the scarcity of these and any possible value.

Attachments

• 8D5D9B910A0B4755901E91156540D33B.jpg
    8D5D9B910A0B4755901E91156540D33B.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 99

jpoland13

Reaction score
Is the value based on supply and demand? And is there no demand? There sure doesn't seem to be much of a supply. I live in Easley and these are the only 2 I have ever seen other than the melted one posted here several years ago. I have looked all over upstate SC, Western NC, and North Georgia and have never found another one.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I don't understand? There are the only two Chero's you have seen, or the only two from Easly?

I doubt there is much of a demand, just as there is not much of a supply.

There is this rule I go by............."Just because YOU don't see it, that does not mean it's rare."

I'm sure someone up your way knows more than I.

Who is it, J&J liquidators? For one, I'm sure there are more.

jpoland13

Reaction score
Come on. Cheros are everywhere. These are the only 2 from Easley I have ever seen. I'm sure there are more out there. The bottling company could hardly have survived with only 2 bottles. I know where the plant was and it's now an empty lot. I live 3 miles from that empty lot. You would think that if there were many of them left I would have seen at least several. How many of them have you seen?

smoothjazz63

Reaction score
I lived in Easley from 1989 until 2002. I was offered an Easley Chero-Cola in the early 1990's for $100. I declined. I have lived in many small towns all over the country. Chero-Cola was EVERYWHERE in the 1910's to 1920's. The value of a small town bottle is relative to passion that a certain collector has to obtain it. Small town Chero's are hot right now. Values are subjective. $100 is neither too high nor too low. I look at it this way: if I want a bottle and it's $100, I ask myself how much time, money, and gasoline am I willing to spend LATER trying to recreate this buying opportunity. $100 usually seems like a bargain then.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I understand John what you mean by thinking you should see some somewhere, but ya don't.

Reasons are:
a. In a trash pile somewhere
b. broken
c. someoneone else already has them
d. melted down/used as cutlet
e. I have no idea

I live in out of Batesburg a ways and at one time there were at least 9+ bottlers here...................Eagle, Houser, Grey Rock, Yeomans, Summerland, Gayola, Parlor & Sons, Bludwine, Batesburg Bottling Co., Yoo Hoo & Pal. Most all are almost impossible to find, but they are findable if you look and you have the time to wait. The same holds true for your bottle I'm sure.

Have I ever seen one? No, I guess the main reason is I don't look for them. Maybe you should pose that question to people like Dan B, Marty M, Don H. or the other dozen or so people that collect those type of bottles.

Value wise I still stick w/ my original assessment......................well I will go to $20.00................I value most bottles at an honest true value of $5-$10. At an esatate/auction sale in Easly it could bring more by two people in a bidding war, but that is unlikely.

Now Smoothjazz says he was offered one for $100,but did not take. That would go to show it has a value of less than $100.......................unless maybe in Easly as I just stated, but then a collector there would most already have one. They are listed in the S.C. bottle book, so they are not an unknown bottle.

Also Jazzman says small town Chero bottles are 'hot', I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that. Here's some going from $2.00 to $184.00 with 90% selling for under $20.00.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/Sodas-/13915/i.html?LH_Sold=1&_sticky=1&_trkparms=65%253A7%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_catref=1&_sc=1%7C1&_nkw=chero&_sop=15

and roughly 48% of the total selling for $10 or less.

Now here's a Barnwell, S.C., that I'm sure is just as rare as your Easly bottle, if not more so. It brought less than $14.99 w/ condition issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARNWELL-S-C-CHERO-COLA-SODA-BOTTLE-/271189389123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2425af43#ht_247wt_709

So tell me, what do you think it's worth?

jpoland13

Reaction score
Thank-you for at least taking this a little more seriously. There has been some interest in the bottles and it has been local. I understand very well that Easley bottles will be more in demand in Easley than anywhere else. That's the primary reason that I would believe Easley bottles would be available in Easley or Greenville or Anderson or Asheville -- but they're not. I posted the bottles to try to get some more information on them, not to try to sell them (I probably will trade one of them and probably to someone local). I only asked about value for my own curiosity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday