Ebay bottles arrived broken...now what?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
A box from ebay with 3 smaller demijohns arrived today. Haven't opened it yet because I know something is broken by the tinkling sound. I've contacted the seller, but don't really expect a reply for several days.
Should I open the box? Insurance is now required...right?
What should be done (documentation, etc) for the insurance process to proceed smoothly?

Thanks all!
Barbara

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Insurance is not required by fleabay. They do make it the responsibility of the seller to get the item to the buyer (aka victim [;)]).
If the buyer didnt insure it then its likely they are out of some bucks.
I wouldnt open it till you hear from seller and find out whether you have a good seller or a jerk. It wont be too hard to tell.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you received broken bottles. The problem is not only that the bottles were broken, but they have lasted all of these years and now they are gone. Whenever I sell something on ebay, I insure the package and contents and add that cost to the shipping & handling charge. It won't bring a broken bottle back to life but it will insure that both me the seller, and the buyer are protected.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I just received my 99cent hutch (see other thread in "New to the Collection") wrapped in two sheets of cardboard right around the bottle itself (no bubble wrap or anything) with round pieces of cardboard taped to each end of the cylindrical package. I had to laugh! I've never seen a bottle wrapped like this. Unbroken of course; hutch sodas were made to last. The seller is a nice guy up in Martinez who doesn't specialize in antique bottles. Sorry about your
bottle(s), Barbara. Keep us informed. Your seller had an excellent feedback rating?

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Lordbud, I have used the core from carpet rolls, cut to size, for shipping bottles many times, a little paper or foam wrap around the bottle and has worked great for me.
I will also tell you, I received the wrong bottle from an feebay seller packed just about how yours was, ultra scary packing job....

BarbarainCalifornia, hopefully the package was insured. Now one thing, no matter the carrier for the package, even though it is insured, IF IN THE MIND OF THE CARRIER, IT WAS NOT PACKED CORRECTLY, they can deny the claim. How do I know this? Two ways.
Some 35 years ago, before I had my drivers license even, I purchased a nice piece of stoneware at a show, I was 20 dollars short on the price. The seller and I agreed that I would send the balance due, plus shipping, and the seller would then ship it to me. Ok, fine. My box arrives, and it sounds terrible, I knew it was broken. Picked up the claim form from the PO, sent it to the seller, who filled out their part, sent it back to me, and I gave everything to the PO. Lo and behold, the PO said no dice, it was poorly packed. So I learned at a young age that insurance is not always insured.
The second time it involved a different carrier, years later. Item arrived broken, and I noticed the packing job was lousy, so recalling my youthful lesson with the PO, I put the damaged box and contents into a second larger box, and returned it to the sender as damaged. Sender filed the claim and was denied due to poor packing, but sent me my refund before the claim was denied. The sender was not very happy with me, or the carrier.
To this day, I will not file a claim on crummy packing, I send it back ASAP.
I would urge all to beware of buying from a seller who will not file the claim, but want you to do it. You can be on the hook for their crummy packing.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Every bottle I've ever received off the bay was wrapped within an inch of it's life. I still got one with a crack in it somehow (I think the seller missed it) but he took it back with no question. I've been very lucky on the bay so far.

Jim G

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Thanks for the great input guys.
I'll hang in there for a few days more waiting for the seller to reply. If he doesn't, I'll be back here asking for more advice.
This is especially tough because that unopened box is calling to me like a siren's son!

Barbara

GuntherHess

Reaction score
from fleabay rules..

Remember, the seller is responsible for the item until it is in the buyer's possession. eBay protects buyers if items arrive damaged, and sellers should consider insuring their items to protect themselves against loss.

The item you bought arrived damaged.

1. Request the seller's contact information and email the seller to discuss the situation and work out a solution.

2. If you can't work out a solution with the seller, you can use the Resolution Center to file a case.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
if you paid with credit card or paypal, you are 100% covered no matter what the seller says. I would request their contact information and give them a call to give them a chance to make it right. I usually give them 24 to 48 hours, any more time than that usually just means they are avoiding you. If they refuse in any way, or they want you to file insurance, contact ebay resoution center. They are extremely helpful, they will usually give you a prepaid postage label to send the item back. The seller is responsible for everything.
They may state in their listing "no returns", or say that you are responsible if you do not buy insurance, but it means nothing, it is their job to deliver the item to you safe and sound and as described. Any insurance issues are their problem. If you have any questions, please email me, I would be glad to help you out.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman