Ebay dilemma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt that the seller was contacted by other potential bidders after the auction closed saying they would have paid more than the closing bid.

I'm not sure of this Lordbud. It is possible, I guess, but I think that the closing price is not miles off of the fair market value. In other words, I don't think I got a steal of a deal, I just got a rare bottle. Maybe it is worth more??? Maybe relisting it would result in more bids? Who can be sure? I think I know who the underbidder was and he will pay top dollar. I was higher.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
If you want the item and feel the guy is honest by all means call them up and discuss it. Thats what civilized people do. Maybe you all can work out a deal that you both can live with.

I'm still coming back to this Gunth. I think this is the next step. I really do want the bottle but I don't want a war. I think talking it out will clarify things.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Cat out of bag.. excellent...!

Looks to me like you won it.. if you have not yet communicated with the seller, pay for it and talk later.. it's a gorgeous bottle!

PS no Bob, the bidders are encoded, including the winner..

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
You're funny Chuck.

Okay. One disclaimer. I have never met the seller. He probably is a wonderful person. I am casting no doubt on his character at this time.

I have emailed him asking to have a phone conversation. I'll let you know.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Then, after the auction closes, I receive a notice from ebay that the seller did not intend to sell the bottle without a reserve and the auction did not meet his reserve. Ebay sounds like they are willing to hear my side before acting.

Wait a sec.. ..what notice? from the seller or who?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
After the auction ended Chuck, ebay contacted me (not the seller). I contacted him to let him know I'd seen this. Here is most of the email from ebay. Green is edited.

(someone) recently opened a cancel transaction case for an item your recently purchased: RARE CITRON MILWAUKEE HUTCHINSON SODA BOTTLE. We are closing the unpaid item case for this transaction and it won't be recorded on your account.

s.gif

Reason for cancel transaction request: The seller says that both of you disagreed over the terms of the transaction.

Seller comment: ITEM WAS LISTED WITH STARTING BID OF $49.95,BUY IT NOW $1495.00 AND RESERVE PRICE $1475.OO.YOU ARE SHOWING SOLD PRICE $860.00?HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?I WANT TO CANCEL THIS TRANSACTION.PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Click the "Take action" button to accept or decline this cancellation.

If you don't take action by Oct-16-2010, the seller will be able to cancel the purchase without your consent.
[/align]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I guess I am giving out quite a bit more information with this one but I thought that editing it would just look too weird. As noted earlier, I did not bid high enough to have won this IF he had placed that reserve amount on the auction. However, I also think that it would be stretching the truth to say that

both of you disagreed over the terms of the transaction.

I had no idea after closing that there was any dispute. I was thinking about where to display it.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It's nice to see real stuff, Bob.. but looks like you can't pay for it any more, just accept or decline a dispute.. what a bummer!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4