Ebay dilemma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

georgeoj

Reaction score
I both buy and sell on ebay. Several times, I have listed good items and been disapointed with the final bid price. Twice the bid was less than I had paid for the item and well under the retail value. I never, even for a moment, thought about trying to get out of the sale. As far as I am concerned, once the aution is over, the deal is fixed. Sellers should never be allowed to do that which this one is trying. On the other side, I was the high bidder on an item ( not a bottle ) that was a very good deal and the seller refused to ship. I did every thing that was possible to convice the seller to ship but he refused. I left an honest, but very negative, feedback that was fully proper under the cicumstances. A sellers dissapointment in the final price should NEVER be an excuse to refuse to complete the sale. George
PS The seller could have cancelled the aution at any time, without any reason given other than "the item is no longer available". I could not begin to belive that the seller suddenly 'noticed' that he did not have a reserve only after he did not get the price that he wanted.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
"PS The seller could have canceled the aution at any time, without any reason given other than "the item is no longer available"

Great point, I remember back when I was new to ebay that that happened. I had something appraised by Skinner for 3-4 hundred. within the last 8 hours it was up to $10 and I noticed I forgot the reserve. I wrote the 1 bidder and canceled the auction. I felt kind of bad until he wrote back and told me no problem and that he said he would have felt guilty for getting it so cheap. Those were the good old days of communication and trust though.
It was at the time a special, sentimental piece.
Anyway, yes, you can forget a reserve but you can also check it and cancel. Yes, you can forget a reserve but you can also check the listing. I was new to ebay, they have been selling since before I ever heard of it.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

PS no Bob, the bidders are encoded, including the winner..
This isn't entirely true Charlie, I can find out who the high bidder is 99% of the time and it's very easy to do......I have made many purchases from box lots for Paterson bottles I wanted by finding out who the "high bidder" was....[;)]

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Unfortunately, i do not believe you will get the bottle.If his buy it now and reserve were as high as he supposedly says, he won`t let that bottle go.The fact is, if he doesn`t want you to have that bottle, you won`t get it.The honorable thing to do would be to discuss it over the phone and come to some sort of an agreement.He obviously wants much more for the bottle than what you paid.you can give him negative feedback, open a case, and win that case, but if he wants to worm out of it, he can.The fact that he said you bothe agreed on coanceling the transaction tells me he will lie to keep the bottle.Again, he could say the bottle broke this morning.I really do wish you the best and hope you get the bottle.A mans word use tto mean something, apparently not in this case.[:'(]

bottle_head9

Reaction score
I see he relisted some bottles.In particular, a cobalt blue quart Hutchison bottle from Chicago.Some of his listings have buy it nows and some don`t.I think he simply underestimated how much YOUR bottle was gonna sell for.He messed up and should honor the sale.Again, good luck Bob.[;)]

beendiggin

Reaction score
He should honor the sale. You had a legally binding contract. It's that simple. Unfortunately, he can do what he wants, whether it's right or wrong. He has the bottle. So.............how much fight do you have in you? Is it worth it for a bottle? Or is it the principle, or is it both? I feel sorry that this is happening to you. E bay really stirs up some grief periodically. I hope it turns out in your favor without any more drama. Good luck.

div2roty

Reaction score
i'm sorry to hear that. i bought some bottles from Rbrown before and I met him at the FOHBC show in York a couple of years ago and he was nice. Its too bad this didn't work out for you. He is pricey though. Maybe another will come along. Generally there is always a second one.

Dispute it though and if possible leave negative feedback at the end. You need to dispute it though, if you agree to it, I think ebay will close the transaction and neither of you will be able to leave feedback.

Matt

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Wow everyone. I was not expecting such a large number of replies and so much support. It seems that just about everyone believes that the seller is in the wrong (although some think he will not go through with the sale). He has not contacted me yet but I did tell him to call me on Monday. I still don't know if I want a war but if he doesn't call, I will dispute the transaction and pay for it. We'll see where it goes from there. Thanks again. You guys are the best!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I really hope it works out for you, Bob!!! Keep us posted, please!

Steve, your Judge Judy episode had me dyin! How do you come up with this stuff??

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I meet my wife for lunch at home twice a week at 12:30.Judge Judy is on at that time Chuck.I love when she says wipe that smile off your face!! [:D]
Bob same here I would fight it there is no way he didnt notice the reserve not met yet verbage under the current bid.He was watching the bid from the time it hit 100.00.I would pay for it, receive it and then still give him low feed back for wasting your and our time at the forum here.Not that I mind chimin in but I would rather be writing about maybe the high percentage of adultry in early glass blowers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay