Ebay scumbaggery!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Here's a link to the listing for the cracked one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Antique-Olive-Amber-Utility-Or-Blacking-Bottle-With-Open-Pontil-/160878963620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2575222ba4

Last night when I saw this, the only language about damage was this: "CONDITION:

Very good condition, no damage, crude in manufacture."

THAT language is STILL in the listing this am, but now, in answer to a question, you also have:

"Q: Is this item and others you are selling a repaired item from the recent Heckler auction? Why aren't you listing it properly? You are doing a disservice to any potential buyers.
A: There is a long crack from top to bottom that I didn't pick up when I was listing it. The camera picked it up well. I did buy a few lots at the Heckler auction and tried to avoid repaired items. Jim "

Yes, he's addressed the damage in a question answer, however he's NOT corrected a flat out misstatement in his original listing, AND he absolutely had it wrong when he posted it. I also find his answer disingenuous. I could look at a little Ebay thumbnail pic and see the crack. It was/is OBVIOUS. Also, word is that Hecklet listed these as damaged/repaired items, so he's either a total idiot or he's somehow forgotten that fact.

I'd consider this guy shady unless he pulled the listing completely and relisted with proper damage description. We as a forum shouldn't have to police it for him...

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
It took a bit of net digging, but this wasn't a Heckler's absentee auction, but rather a live auction, apparently. I finally found a reference to it on auctionzip. Here's the link:

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1527462.html

Item 32 "Lot Of Twelve Utility And Blacking Bottles; shades of amber and green, pontils, ht. 2 3/4 inches to 5 inches, each item has damage or a repair, Kernozicky collection."

Here's a link to the pic. http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/1527462/fp32.cgi

Sure looks like the same bottles.

Don't know how you can claim a mistake, where the lot is clearly delineated as having repairs to each bottle...

FWIW, almost every lot in the Kernozicky collection had damage, or repairs, or both.

Jim G

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's also an ebay problem. You can't edit once I bid is placed, only add to it. That would be a good suggestion but it would still show up at the end, after all the terms and conditions. I commend them for at least posting the Q&A.
Pulling and re-listing would be a better idea though.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I dont see much to commend them for . At best they are a really sloppy seller with no morals. No reputable seller would leave those auctions up with only the false descriptions. Since they bought them from an auction that clearly indicated they were damaged that indicates they are either a scammer or cant read english.

KentOhio

Reaction score
I think the puce barrel bitters he has listed looks suspicious too. Does anyone else think the whole base is a resin repair?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I thought they sounded familiar. Not a huge amount of complaints here but there was this one.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-453740/mpage-1/key-meantiques1/tm.htm#453740
It may not be the only one, just the one I saw.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I think the puce barrel bitters he has listed looks suspicious too. Does anyone else think the whole base is a resin repair?

It is weird looking.
At this point everything they have is suspect.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it puce but I don't see anything more that a total lack of true description. It's definitely another buyer beware item.
It looks like a later, in the style of an American barrel whiskey/bitters. Argentinian? bitters or whiskey but still possibly pre 1900.
There was a post here about a similar barrel from there, I'll see if I can find it.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
anyone find this one a bit odd?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-PONTILED-HORNETS-NEST-LINIMENT-CO-CASTOR-OIL-CHARLOTTE-N-C-/320978183161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abbca63f9

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Just an FYI everyone, Heckler is doing another live auction with a whole bunch of the "Kernozicky" collection. That's where these damaged bottles came from. That collection seems to have a lot of damaged and repaired higher end bottles in it. This time, among other things, there is a damaged repaired I Newton's Panacea. Many of the repairs look rather good at first glance. There is an entire lot of crude umbrellas, all with replaced necks, for example.

A lot of the bottles this guy had seem to be Keene/Stoddard/Connecticut utility type pieces. So keep your eyes open in the next few weeks for potential re-sells on ebay that somehow fail to have this damage noted.

Jim G

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal