Embossing?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

dug bottles are sort of like fossils...we see whats left of the original creature[;)]
Its too bad some of the great labels and boxes never survived.
They were what was meant to attract the consumer.
Not to say that some bottles dont still have great embossing, its just impossible to do on glass what you can do with color lithography.

It pains me to think about all the labeled blobs I'd love to have... But the labels practically never survive on really old beverage bottles! I've never seen a labeled local bottle, despite the multitudes I've found... Oh well, I'll keep dreaming...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've never seen a labeled local bottle, despite the multitudes I've found... Oh well, I'll keep dreaming...
I have a theory on that. Many of the local blobs are sodas and embossed with a store name, not a manufacturer. They may have never had labels but maybe a tag saying ginger ale, orange, root beer, etc.
It's a soda question I guess.[8|][8|] I hope the answer comes along, I've wondered about that too.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
90% of blobs are beers, though they're often not embossed as such. In my area's case, a large regional brewer (like Ballantine, Krueger, etc.) would've shipped out barrels of beer to the local bottlers, who would then sell it to the customer... In that case the bottles likely would've had labels advertising what beer was in them. I saw a 1900ish tooled crown with slug plate embossing with a Ballantine label like that on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75