Etched blown glass vase with white enamel.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ecotramper412

Reaction score
Hi All,
It has been a while since I last posted but I'm very curious about this vase. I recently picked it up from a collection of primitive American antiques. While I do not recognize it, something about it feels very old.

It is beautiful. It is blown and the glass is light, fairly thin, and feels fragile. The rim is round but it has a slight hexagon shape in the main portion of the body. On the base there is an indent where you would expect a pontil, but it is smooth. The etched pattern looks almost patriotic. On top of the pattern are applied white enamel dots which look like stars.

Has anyone seen this before? Anyone know the age or possible maker? I looked through McKearin and can't find anything similar.

Thanks for your help!
IMG_7540s (2).jpgIMG_7538s (2).jpgIMG_7535s (2).jpgIMG_7521s (2).jpgIMG_7541s (2).jpg

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Very interesting piece. What are the dimensions of it. It may have had the pontil mark ground off. Does the pattern appear etched in the glass or is it applied as well?

Scott

ecotramper412

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the reply. You're absolutely correct, the pattern is applied and the glass is not etched. The pontil may have been ground off but the glass is very smooth to the touch. It does have some texture compared to the rest of the glass, but it is not rough. There is a faded gilt ring along the rim and near the base where the vase begins.

It stands about 8.5" tall and is 3" in diameter at the mouth and base.

Thanks for any suggestions.
IMG_8275.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty