Even a blind pig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jesster64

Reaction score
various utensils and a pot lid
stuff21005.jpg

jesster64

Reaction score
some marbles, a nice hair clip, I think, a 1947 penny, thimble, and an ink
stuff21007.jpg

jesster64

Reaction score
I'd say this was the worlds largest marble, but it had a hole in one side, not threaded, like it might be the topper of something like a cane.
stuff21009.jpg

jesster64

Reaction score
I felt really bad about this. Uncovered 2 , what I thought were compact mirrors. I was cleaning one, dipping in water and scrubbing , when a face looked back at me. I believe they are/were degueritypes. Nice little tin pictures, with a glass front, matted with a gold leaf type matte with the name "Clarke in New Brunswick" printed on it, and surrounded by a brass frame.
I took it apart to try and dry it, but it got green splotches on it as soon as the air hit it. I didn't touch the other one, although you can barely see the face anymore and rushed them to a friend of mine on the historical council to see if they were salvageable. The one on the left is taken apart, the one on the right is as I found it. You can kind of see a woman looking out from the one on the left, picture in the middle.
stuff21004.jpg

KBbottles

Reaction score
YAY JESSTER!!!!! Congrats Man!!! Very similar to the site I am digging right now and close to how I found mine. I have a whole one of those Somerville blobs that I got at the Brick Township bottle show a couple wks ago. I'll bet u dig a bunch more of those Rawleighs too in some different colors. Rawleighs are common but I think they are so fun to find. My dump site is getting close to drying up, but I think there is another spot right near it. There has to be a ton of other similar spots in our area as both of our towns which are close go WAY back. Can't wait to see what other goodies you pull!! Sure gets your adrenaline going and beats digging over at the big younger site we met at. NICE JOB!

Plumbata

Reaction score
That big swirly glass ball is probably a gearshift knob or less likely a cane topper. I've dug broken ones in 40s dumps. They are quite decently valuable if whole.

There may well be some deeper deposits in that spot. The old shards you found on the surface look VERY promising, so you should definitely go back and search for the older spots. It is simple geological physics: use your intuition and you will find where the stuff came from (unless everything was tossed at the same time).

Plumbata

Reaction score
And don't take chances with the snakes, i've had some close calls with water moccasins and copperheads back in MD. The shovel isn't only good for digging, ya know... [;)]

swizzle

Reaction score
That gear shifter/cane handle/murder weapon thingy is awesome. I dug up a picture once that was the same type as what you found. Basically the same story. The pic got washed away. Some remnants remained on the tin behind the glass. It wasn't enough to make anything out though. Maybe take a small probe to the whole area. A rake might reveal a bit more in the line of shards and maybe give you an idea or 4 where more glass is buried. Good luck. Swiz

jesster64

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The snakes have me a little concerned, they were agressive, maybe because they were young. I don't want to run into mama. A lot of roots on the hill, makes it a little difficult to dig. Stuff wasn't deep. I wonder if they threw everything out at once when they were cleaning out the house and barn on premise. Mostly small condiments around. It doesn't feel like they were using it for decades. I will bring a probe next time to poke around. lots of old shoes, mainly soles, but still only few inches deep. I've been scraping around trees mainly, hoping stuff got caught in front or behind them.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles