Even Old Men...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
My first post in the digging/finding section!!!

I tried a new strategy... I combined my turkey scouting with dump-lurkin'... By gollt, I found somethin"... A little dumping area between some boulders on a knob near a well-preserved cellar hole... I'm sure it's been well picked over, but not recently... I hope to get permission to check for those "missed" bottles I know are there... All 19th century shards showing on top including this baby...

Ron

Mk27643.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27643.jpg
    Mk27643.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 73

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Hey Ron, nice jar, your'e not that old, you about my age, and I'm still digging, it takes longer to get up the next morning , but that's tommorrow[:D]

bearswede

Reaction score
Now, for the other shoe...

This one's not perfect with that broken top, but I plan to slap on one of those gloppy lips they used to put on Columbian Inks... Using casting resin of course... If it works, I'll devise a faux label and I'll have myself a nice little display piece...

Ron

Ca82568.jpg

Attachments

• Ca82568.jpg
    Ca82568.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 69

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Looks promising Ron try probing, alot of the old timers just used a potatoe digger, and missed alot around roots, rocks, etc.. Any probe is better then not, a long handled screwdriver or a walmart driveway reflector even.... some are fiberglass others alum. Soft wet, damp spring dirt is easier probed then dry and arid summer soil.... Best of luck!! Taz

texasdigger

Reaction score
Turkey hunting and bottle digging. Now that sounds like the making of good day! Gooblers, pontils, hens and cure bottles oh my!!!

I am a glazier "Commercial and Residential Glass" that lends itself well to bottle repair, and in the past pulled off some fairly good lip repairs. That guy you found there looks like a good canidate. The way I do it is to take a grinder and grind down past the missing part of the neck then polish out all of the tool marks. When finished only the person who repaired the bottle will notice until close inspection. I would never repair a bottle for monitary gain, but it does make trash into a nice display peice. Start with a 60, grit then 220, then a totally worn out w/ serium oxide "Glass Polish" or just coat the belt well with bees wax. The only thing you have to watch out for heat. Go in spurts 2 or 3 on, 2 or 3 off. Good luck with whatever you do with bottle, and please post pics so that we may see your handy work.

Brad

p.s. In the last couple of months you have had the success of the Townsend bottle, the super rare hair bottle you won, the Stephen Jewetts bottle and now you went for a nice stroll and found a pontil bottle dump. LUCKY!!!!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Ron - You never know. I found a decent pontil dump (by sheer fluke & karma), in a spot that looked extremely combed over about 500 yds from the local college. Got a cathedral pepper sauce, a Richardsons Bitters, and a very nice, crude snuff jar out of it. Ya never know. Good luck. Btw, Love your bottles and great photos.

Tony14

Reaction score
Beautiful bottle Ron, get back there and find all the bottles they missed!![;)] you know all of those graphite pontil colored sodas and open pontil flasks...

swizzle

Reaction score
Hm... Potato rake scraping across glass just right might sound like a gobbler. Maybe you can really have the best of both worlds. Or maybe you'll just find a dump full of wild turkey bottles. Looks like you find yourself a real promising dig there. Good luck and post lots of dump and recovery pics at the dump and then the clean up shots. We all love to see those pontils. Jason

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday