EVER HAPPEN TO YOU?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
BACK IN THE 70S I SPENT MANY WONDERFUL HOURS LOOKING AROUND WHERE ONCE A FEW THOUSAND SOULS HAD LIVED FROM THE 1870S TO THE 30S....BY THE 70S WHEN I FOUND IT ..NOTHING! MAYBE 5 PEOPLE LIVED IN THE AREA.

FOLKS FROM MASS. HAD COME HERE AFTER THE CIVIL WAR FOR THE IRON ORE.

I HAD TO BE VERY WATCHFUL FOR THE 40FT.OR SO WELLS [THEY HAD GROWN OVER AND IF YOU FELL INTO THE WELL THERE WAS NO ONE TO HEAR YOUR SCREAMS! THIS WAS HIGH COUNTRY [AROUND HERE ANY WAY] PLACE WAS CALLED "BLUFFTON ALA "..YOU CAN GOOGLE IT AND SEE WHAT BIG PLANS WERE LAID OUT FOR IT...WAS GONNA BE BE BIGGER THEN BIRMINGHAM ALA. WAS GONNA A HAVE A COLLEGE AND ALL KINDS OF THINGS,BUT THE IRON ORE PROVED TO BE OF AN INFERIOR TYPE,NOT THE VERY HIGH GRADE THEY FIRST THOUGHT.

THERE WAS A HOTEL WITH 185 ROOMS IN IT.RUDYARD KIPLING ONCE STAYED THERE...THE NORTHENERS CAME IN THE SUMMER FOR THE WATER,PIVNICS ETC.

IT WAS BUILT BY FOLKS FROM MASS. THE CHURCH STILL STANDS "SALEM CHURCH"..WHEN I FIRST WENT THERE THE HUGE OAK TREES STILL STOOD LINING THE FRONT OF THE HOTEL THEN AS WELL AS THE FOUNDATION TO THE HUGE HOTEL[FOUND AN UNEMBOSSED WHISKEY AT THE BOTTOM...A PERSON WORKING IN THE BOILER ROOM TAKING A LITTLE NIP..OR HIDDING THERE DRINKING NOT TO BE FOUND OUT? ,THE OAKS WERE TORN TO PIECES BY TORNADOS AND THE FOUNDATION WAS BULLDOZED OVER AND A MOBILE HOME SETS ON IT NOW..[IRONIC]

[SAW A PICTURE OF IT WAS HUGE AND BEAUTIFUL...A TRAIL WAS STILL THERE THAT LEAD FROM THE RAIL ROAD TRACKS TO THE HOTEL..IT WAS A UPWARD CLIMB WITH A DEEP WELL HALFWAY UP TO QUINCE THE THIRST OF THE TRAVELERS.

I COULD FEEL THE HISTORY AND THE SPIRITS THAT SEEMED TO LINGER HERE....SAW DEER THERE...WAS SO QUITE . THEY HAD A IRON ORE MILL AND GUN SHOP THERE....

WONDERFUL PLACE TO BE SO PEACEFUL.

I KNEW THERE HAD TO BE A TOWN DUMP THERE.

THIS IS ONE OF THE PLACES THE CHEROKEE INDIANS HID TILL FOUND AND SENT ON THE TRAIL OF TEARS YEARS BEFORE..SO MUCH HISTORY!

ONE DAY I FOUND A INDENTED DITCH FILLED WITH GLASS SHARDS EVERY WHERE! EUREKA~!I KNEW IT HAD NOT BEEN DUG BECAUSE ON TOP WAS A MINT WHOLE CEDARTOWN BOTTLELING WORKS BOTTLE SODA STRAIGHT SIDE PERIOD! [CEDARTONN IS MY HOME.] MAN I WAS EXCITED..I DUG AND DUG AND FOUND ONLY PIECES OF BOTTLES! FRUSTRATING...I THOUGHT I HAD SURLY FOUND THE MOTHER LOAD. AT THE LAST I DUG A "HALLS CURE! THAT WAS IT..MAN WAS I SAD! BUT THE DIG WAS SO EXCITING.. WONDERFUL TIME!...EVEN THOUGH LITTLE BOTTLES FOUND!

EVER THOUGHT SURLY YOU HAD FOUND A BONANZA ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED LIKE THIS?

ONE HUGE VICTORIAN HOUSE STANDS...WILL TAKE PICTURES OF THE PLACE SOON I HOPE! JAMIE
!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Jamie,...Thanks,..sounds like a great place and exciting dig...I'll bet it was fun to just explore there....and Hey,...you got two good bottles...But yes, been there, had that happen, where in your mind you think...Gotta be it!,....but it's not always "IT"....

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing a great story with us Jamie!! [:)] Sometimes, just being somewhere historically cool is just as fond a memory as hauling out buckets full of bottles.. I had luck as a kid pulling bottles out of creeks and one great dig in the 90's.. other than that, it's been a heluva good time just poking around old spots like that, imagining how it used to be back in the day..

tigue710

Reaction score
Great story, and oh yes, it has happened! I'll keep it short but my digging partner ran a construction crew for a huge outfit out east, and they were laying cable on the coast in a major city. He was pulling out barrel bitters and all sorts of squats and what not. I begged for months to go down and dig but it was too high profile... Then it came up, an opportunity, he was on night shifts and said he could get me in... I went down... Dreams of gothic foods, bitters and squats floating in my head. I got to the sight and climbed down along the pump hoses 20 feet down below the water level, with the generator running up above and 2000 watts of electricity shinning down I stood relaxed, with an underlying fever of anticipation confronted by a 25 foot wall of pure ash and old dock piers. I spent the whole night digging, from 8 to 4 in the morning, water seeping in the wall and pumping back out in 25 degree weather. I left behind the only bottles I found, two clear slicks. While I was in the hole my buddy was checking the tail piles and pulled out an emerald green continental ink... He never even dug there... He would just stop in and check and pull a halls out of the wall! I went home very disappointed and never got a chance to go back again...

glass man

Reaction score
THANK YALL AND DANG TIQUE...I FEEL LIKE I DID GOOD NOW AFTER HEARING YOUR STORY...YES A BUMMER INDEED!!! JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator