ex rare amber Mathews/Hutchinson

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
I will take a couple of pictures of the blobs that you asked for when the sun comes up. This is a close us of the bottom

576CAEA0A3244B80896FC698414F9BE7.jpg

Attachments

• 576CAEA0A3244B80896FC698414F9BE7.jpg
    576CAEA0A3244B80896FC698414F9BE7.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 43

capsoda

Reaction score
The later bottles had Bottle Made By around the circumfurance of the bottom where yours says Stopper Made Buy Alberson's. The rest is the same.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Warren did you say that backward? Mine is BY. That could be a critical piece of information in figuring out exactly what this bottle is. Did that come from David Graci's book? I have a copy i just don't know i put it.

Steven

appliedlips

Reaction score
Congratulations on a very nice find.I think the blob top fits very well with the date of the bottle,just not with Matthews patent.Most of these gravitating type bottles or older than many hutches and that blob fits the early hutches or late pony blobs.I have never seen a color (other than maybe teal) colored Matthews bottle.Great bottle and possibly unique.I do not believe it could have used a gravitating stopper,either.Thanks for sharing.Doug

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep Steven, It is in David Graci's book. If you look closely at the picture I posted you will see that neither of the stoppers shown are gravitating stoppers. They are both plungers. They were simply pushed down and allowed to fall to the bottom. David Graci's book states that the first one (left) was a closing device that would become the Mathews gravitating stopper. The second one was the next step toward the gravitating stopper.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Doug, yes this one in nice! It’s the first bottle to really make me wonder since Warren figured out the spiral spring stopper with the help of David Graci. I think you are right on the color. Now that you say teal I have seen some that were very deep aqua. So far one friend has told me that there are a couple of cobalt colored Mathews bottles known nationally. He has never seen them though and I can’t track that lead any farther than that. If Warren did say it correctly that the later version is embossed, “BY†on the bottom I would be just about certain the top was made for a hutch. If not then I would think it was for a cork. Those two sentences will bring the great Capsoda to bear on the issue. So maybe he will post the extra long plunge stopper patent next.

What do you think Cappy? If it is the late embossing does that point to this bottle top being intended to utilize a hutch stopper? Look at the two blobs together...

I have found at least a half dozen Mathews stopper bottles and we have a place that has an underwater glass dump from a bottler with thousands of broken Mathews bottles. I never knew there were two embossing for the patent until today. Cappy you are my sensei and I am your grasshopper! Hey how do you see your keyboard with those all white eyes?
Warren Here are the pictures you asked for yesterday.

CA982102B863438FA7ACFAC3463C5014.jpg

Attachments

• CA982102B863438FA7ACFAC3463C5014.jpg
    CA982102B863438FA7ACFAC3463C5014.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 38

mrbottles

Reaction score
The one on the right is a known Hutchinson. You can see it has totally different shoulders yet the blob could be from the same tool. This one is the top view you asked for. Again, they are the same.

3079E7195F4141FF92002BC72E93ACDD.jpg

Attachments

• 3079E7195F4141FF92002BC72E93ACDD.jpg
    3079E7195F4141FF92002BC72E93ACDD.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 40

mrbottles

Reaction score
P.S. Warren, All that fighting to get good pictures of colored bottles... I got a new Nikon and it is childs play now. Much better lens. Decent light ='s good pictures.

Steven

CanYouDigIt!

Reaction score
Hi Steve Congrats on your recent find , thats an awesome discovery. That website of yours is fantastic! Im a regular visitor there and love all the stories and bottle galleries, and collector showcases. My favorites from Wisconsin are the Lindestrom, and Zwietusch gravs and spring stopper bottles as well as the Wolf's bottles. Out of curiosity are there any other known bottlers within the USA who used that spring stopper type closure of Otto's?
Best regards Vic

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Vic,
Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you like the site. A lot of people contribute. Feel free to join the forum over there or to submit articles or hunt stories.
The spring stopper bottles are actually the first incarnation of the Albertsons Mathews gravitating stopper. That is part of one of the hall of fame stories. I am in the process of rebuilding the hall of fame gallery. This is a link to that story. http://www.mrbottles.com/productdetails.asp?ID=10 There is at least one other from I think New York. Before the Wisconsin bottles turned up no one had ever seen the coil spring stopper other than on the patent. I only know of three whole stoppers and they all came from the same under water bottler dump where there are thousands of broken Mathews bottles. My brother actually found a huge pile of the stoppers scuba diving and brought back all he could carry to the tune of hundreds.
In fact Warren (Capsoda) was a big part of bringing the patent to the bottle or the other way around.
Steven

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey