ex rare amber Mathews/Hutchinson

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
Here is a picture from his hoard of stoppers. This is pretty incredible when you think about it. Not exactly brand new.

D72DDDE3D0EA4DF9A499F53C35E75A6F.jpg

Attachments

• D72DDDE3D0EA4DF9A499F53C35E75A6F.jpg
    D72DDDE3D0EA4DF9A499F53C35E75A6F.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 44

otgb

Reaction score
here is another funny matthews top

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

mrbottles

Reaction score
WOW!!! That just has to be for some other stopper. Very cool. I am pretty certain Mathews held a bunch of patents. I am going to go find my patent closure book. While i doubt mine would work with a gravitational i can tell you your won't.

Cappy what do you make of this thing?

What does it say on the side? Is it a local bottle? I have never seen anything like it. Where did you find it?

Steven

otgb

Reaction score
it says
G.W HARRIS
MANNSVILLE NY

it would be nice to find the stopper

mrbottles

Reaction score
Okay otgb,

Your bottle was actually a patent of Joseph Conner. He has his own cork closure and Mathews invented a version with a metal stopper with a rubber closure and apparently got permission to from Conner to make and market his take off of the Connor patent with his name on the bottom. This is all from a book that Capsoda found when we were trying to figure out the spring stopper. Mathews didn’t invent them but he did jump on and market the strangest of the strange stoppers. Check out the listing for the spring stopper at my site. http://www.mrbottles.com/productdetails.asp?ID=10 At the bottom is the contact information to get this book. It is called Soda and Beer BOTTLE CLOSURES. 1850 to 1910. I highly recommend you get the book and get in touch with The author David Graci. He may be able to hook you up for the stopper. His book has a lot of information about your bottle and has a picture of the actual stopper.

Okay back to colored Mathews bottles... Anyone... anything???

Steven

otgb

Reaction score
thanks
i no dave i will give him a call
Tim

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

You know David Graci? Thats like knowing Brett Favre or Capsoda! Tell him his book is awesome for me. He might have ideas on my bottle. I have to see if i can find his email address.

Steven

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep, the book says Joseph Conner. Mathews bought the patent rights to all kinds of stoppers and bottles. Very cool bottle OTGB. I love weird stopper bottles.

Hey Steven, Your bottle was on the market a bit before the hutch but I have found many different types of bottles with hutch wires in them instead of the stopper it was designed for.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Good morning Warren,

I do realize the patent on the bottom predates Hutchinson. I just think that the bottle looks so much like a half dozen early Hutchinson bottles from Wisconsin in that it tall and narrow like the Mathews bottle but it has that blob like the early Hutchinson’s. Maybe an early trial batch for the Hutchinson patent using an old mold? I have a friend who has two aqua varieties with the same mold. Both have the traditional Mathews blob. Unless they made an awkward extra long Mathews stopper (Something that has never turned up) this blob would not work in that you would not be able to reach the stopper to snug it up. The patent clearly shows the stopper protruding out of the bottle. While carbonation should be able to keep the bottle shut the bottle was designed to be manually checked for proper seal.

The Mathews bottles were eventually replaced by Hutchinson’s. The way this bottle is made I think it was either a Hutchinson mistakenly made in the Mathews mold or intentionally. On a side note Zwietusch had a lot of different bottles over 40 years of business. This is the only amber one. How weird is that? He was a soda bottler. He did have a couple of olive bottles.

Have you been sleuthing? Anything on other colored Mathews patented bottles?

Steven

There are two other examples of this bottle. For a long time this one here was it. It is the same mold as the aqua one next to it. My buddy could tell by the mold seams and marks.

E2167D3997284592AEA5E1C94B4CB9A3.jpg

Attachments

• E2167D3997284592AEA5E1C94B4CB9A3.jpg
    E2167D3997284592AEA5E1C94B4CB9A3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 40

capsoda

Reaction score
A bottler here (William Hudson) used an odd hutch bottle that was a graviting stopper bottle but with the standard hutch blob top. It used the hutch two piece wire stopper. I have only seen two of them.

I think where you are having a problem understanding is how the stopper was used in this bottle. The plunger was pushed in from the top to seal it. To open it the plunger was pushed the rest of the way in and allowed to fall to the bottom. When reused the plunger was pulled out and a new gasket was installed and the plunger was ready for use again.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey