F. Kraus Monroe MICH Aqua Blue Hutchinson Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blutchtique

Reaction score
I believe this is a pre-1900 Hutch bottle. Any feedback on this item would be greatly appreciated. If it is a more common bottle and/or what year it may be from. Thank you so much in advance my friends and have a blessed day! : )

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

madman

Reaction score
also a nice bottle! are you trying to sell these? the monroe id belive to be rare! where do you live? are you digging these?

Blutchtique

Reaction score
I appreciate the nice comment and post once again madman! As with the other one I also believe as well this is rare because I am not able to find anything on it. I live in Michigan. And you? It was dug. I have some items in my collection that I am looking to find more information on such as this and the Lake Erie Blob Top at this time.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Blutchtique,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for bringing the Hutchinson soda.

Why do you think it's pre 1900, as opposed to post? Is there any maker information on the base or heel?

"Kevin Nash said:
March 4th, 2010 at 7:48 am

I did find out about the bottle. I had in my notes that a Frank Kraus worked in a brewery and I verified that by checking out the 1880 census. He lived right next to the Wahl brewery so I assume he worked there. In 1911-1912, he owned a bottling company here in Monroe so the bottle is from one of those years. One history writer said that the bottling company bottled Coca Cola and other soda. I will say that he has been wrong before." From.

This One, a bluer, blue aqua, and shinier model, sold in July, 2011 for $29.99.

Gloria+Swanson+(1919)+2.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Blutch,
Pretty bottle. I don't know a thing about it except that I collect hutchinson sodas. It does seem to me to have an early 'feel' to it, if you know what I mean. - It doesn't have that typical late hutch look which is very strong rounded shoulders and short height. However, the way it 'feels' can be mis-leading. One of the best indicatiors of age is the manufacturer's marknings left on the glass. Does it say IGCO or SB&GCO or ABCo on it anywhere? That can really help date it. Look along the hub and on the bottoom for any small markings. Without knowing those markings, my guess is 1890s. Hope this helped.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Interesting link Surfaceone. I see that the one shown here is listed on ebay right now and that it is DOC. That does not narrow down the date of manufacture because DOC operated for a long time after this was made. I still stand by my initial guess that this bottle is 1890s and I also think that the link from Surfaceone showed a later (more strong shouldered) example.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score

cyberdigger

Reaction score
My opinion, the simple slug plate design is an indicator of an earlier bottle, I wouldn't be shocked if it was made in the 1880's.

madman

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe,_Michigan

madman

Reaction score
the bottle is crude id have to say early also!
thanks for posting this! brings back fond memories!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter