fiending to dig - Lansing, MI and surrounding areas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner but I have been slammed with finals week coming up. But the good news is that I have a straight 4 point and only two weeks of school left!

I would have loved to go out last weekend but couldn't make it happen with all my school work and some car issues to round it out (*smh*). But I did kinda get to go on a bottle hunt today, sort of...

I was at my grandma's house helping my mom and aunts pack up my grandparents things for auction and I got nominated to go into the crawl space because nobody else wanted to go up there (Michigan style crawl space). And I found a HUGE crock and a box FULL of bottles that my grandma must have hidden for one reason or another... She was mysterious like that.

They gave me a few bottles for helping today, a clay Carter's Ink, and a small Atlas Good Luck (they gave me the gallon version last week and decided I needed that to complete the set tonight). I am really sad to inform you that the glass mailbox in the picture above was found in several different pieces in two places in the crawl space (what a heart breaker).

I don't know if either of you buy bottles or if you only dig but the auction is on Wednesday (28th) and if you'd be interested I could give you the information, I also took a few extra pictures while I was there tonight that I could post if you're interested. There are 10-15+ Warner's Safe Cure bottles (green, brown and clear... at least one of them is from London), tons of old sodas, beers and hutches (browns, clears and aquas), tons of old milk bottles, a myriad of mason jars (mostly clears and aquas that I've noticed), many many many medicines (blues, aquas, browns, clears), inks, clay bottles, etc. Cities I have seen frequently are Jackson, Saginaw, Durand, Williamston, Chicago, Detroit, a few TN cities, KY cities, and some foreign ones. Also there are a bunch of crocks (huge to tiny), vinegar cruets, pickle jars (very large to small), a full set of depression glass (pink), old toys, license plates, advertisement items... all kinds of assorted items. My grandparents were both avid collectors and that amounted to a lot of stuff!

Hope you don't think I am weird for mentioning it, I just thought I'd let you know since I don't think it would be terribly far for you (though I'm not positive) and they had a lot of really nice/ unique items. But I do have more pictures and I can post the web site for you if you'd be interested.

I hope you guys all had a great Thanksgiving and a great long weekend ahead of you still!

druggistnut

Reaction score
Ashley,
I will crawl in to any space under a house and big kudo's to you for doing so!

I'll have to go back and look at the mailbox picture. I'm wondering if it was a candy container.

Yes, I would very much like to attend the auction. Could you please email me directions or an address/time, etc... Is this an advertised auction, and if there is a website, I'd appreciate a URL.

Your schooling is more important than any bottle. Keep your nose in the books and get your career on track. I think educating yourself on line is a good way to get up to speed without sacrificing the time out in the field. It will come.

I will email you, also, as I don't know how often you check in here, and I don't want to miss out tomorrow.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
Ashley,
This is really interesting.
I'm not going to be at the auction tomorrow, and I can tell you why, if we talk.
There WILL be about 6 guys from The Grand Rapids, Flint and Detroit bottle clubs there, but 6-8 more not going, for the reasons I'll tell you about.
Bill

Reaction score
I am so sorry I didn't see these, apparently Gmail thinks anything from here is spam. *smdh* I'm glad you found your way out to the auction though, it was so great to meet you! My grandpa had a lot of really cool things, didn't he? I wish I could have known him in my adult life, I think we'd have been great buddies. [:(]

My mom actually bought the glass mailbox in the picture. When I pulled it out of the attic all the pieces were there, but apparently my aunt threw the two (cleanly) broken corners in the trash. [:mad:] But the body of the mailbox is intact. The top flap and bottom were both broken (corners broken off) but I've seen a few of those on Ebay being sold separately, maybe I'll snag them for her for Christmas.

I only ended up getting one other thing, a Northwood Amethyst Carnival Glass Bowl with the star of David on it. I only knew that it was carnival glass when I started bidding on it though. I love carnival glass but every time I see things I like it's always $50.00 or more and that's a lot for my broke college ass. [sm=lol.gif] I didn't realize it had the star of David on it because the table was up high and I could only see the sides of it, but I got first choice and laughed when I realized what the design was (my grandparents were not Jewish). Paid $22.50 and got home and decided to check it out online and about crapped my pants because one sold on Ebay for $110.00 and another for $293.00. I would never sell it but it's always cool to find out you have an item that is worth something. :)

I agree, schooling is very important (right now), if not just for the fact that I am trying to get really good grades in hopes to get some scholarships to help me pay for it. [sm=thumbup.gif] I only have next week and two finals days before the end of this semester. And then I only have 4 semesters left. lol But if all goes well I should get a nice little job where I only work 5 days a week and have weekends off to do all the bottle digging, guitar playing, drawing, painting and writing I want! [:D]

Are you going on an end of the world dig?! I think that would be pretty awesome! End of the world bottle digging palooza! :D I will keep in touch with you! I'll be done with my semester officially on 12/12/12 (first time I've typed that, looks weird) and would be free pretty much any day thereafter! My mom said she'd love to come out also! :D

I will send you Aunt Nancy's number in pm so she can send you pictures of Chris' bottle collection and catch up! :)

Have a great day and I will talk to you soon! :D

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
an end of the world dig would be great!!! my fiance wants to finally dig with us instead of just watching. sometime you will get to meet her if you want to come dig with us. its much better than going to a party as far as im concerned. wow.....i sound old.
nic

druggistnut

Reaction score
I will send you Aunt Nancy's number in pm so she can send you pictures of Chris' bottle collection and catch up

Never got the number... I don't seem to have much luck getting women's numbers lately. LOL

I think that you DO need to get one of those mail boxes. How much were they going for?

You have to really like lucking on to a good piece and WHO it belonged to makes it all the better.

Looks like you talked Nic and I in to an EOW dig. Maybe it could be close enough for you to attend.

I'll wait to hear back from you.
Bill

Reaction score
Hey! I'm down for the EOW dig! :) And I'll be done with classes by then too! *phew[sm=thumbup.gif]
Can't even explain the relief in that statement. And the excitement of actually doing some fun stuff without having any looming deadlines for school hanging over my head! :D

Is there a small memory allotted for messages because I got a notification that I got an e-mail from Paul, and your message isn't in my inbox here either Bill. I'm confused.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Is there a small memory allotted for messages because I got a notification that I got an e-mail from Paul, and your message isn't in my inbox here either Bill. I'm confused.

Yes, With the PM's, there is. You have to watch that sliding bar that tells you what percentage you are at. Happened to me, as well. You might have to delete some older PM's.
You can also elect to be notified via your registered email when you have a PM on ABN.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26