First Privy dug in 2016, Privy #1.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
It's rare I get out in January to dig a Privy in Michigan. Was warm upto late December. Got out about 2 weeks ago. But then the cold moved in & hung up the probe & shovel for the Winter. BUT, Then Today it hits 50 degrees & sunny so I dusted them off hit the usual spot. Met up with a Friend of mine that lives in the big city & I probed up a storm under a sidewalk along a fence line. The sidewalk was not visable & was about 4 inches below the dirt. I feel a nice good spot about 4 feet down that felt like broken crunchy glass. SO, We bust away the concrete with Sledghammer & start digging. I find the crunchy spot but it's just a small buried pit of a bunch of little Rocks the size of a golfball, probably hundred of them. Dange it, false alarm. But I probe to the left of it & it feels good over there & start digging. I hit a bunch of white ash, then thick hard layer of clay was above that. Dig down below the white ash where all the good bottles should be but nothing. Finally I hit a whole bottle after a few shards before that. I get excited & pull it out. Then I see what looks like a 1930's crown top. I look closer & it's a ABM Slick. But then I read the bottom & it sez PJ RITTER CONVERSE CO. PHILA. After this disappointing find I fill the hole in & probe elsewhere. After about 200 more pokes with the probe I don't feel anything & tired of probing & now getting dark so hit the road. Looks like first dig of early 2016 a dud. I hope Spring time produces more then this. 7 more Cobalt blue Hutches would be nice again. LEON. P1010559.jpgP1010562.jpg

sunrunner

Reaction score
well Leon , the good thing is YOU KNOW there out there ,have probe will find .

Privyprowlerz

Reaction score
keep at it Leon. you know the drill my friend.

We find stuff in about 10% of the holes we dig.

and 80% of the stuff we take home comes from 5% of the holes we dig.

problem is, there's no rhyme or reason as to which one it's gonna be
till we dig it.

Jim

Privyprowlerz

Reaction score
and hardly any of this.....

shea's  dig front street catty.jpg

such is the life of the bottle digger..

Jim

hemihampton

Reaction score
Last year right next to this hole, on other side of property line, I dug a privy that had a couple of good bottles. The crier was a broken American Brewing Quart beer, which was unknown & never before seen or known to exist until I dug that broken one. Would of been killer to find a whole one in this hole but you just never know what your going to find until you dig it. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1