First time cleaning bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
So far I’ve been just collecting all of these bottles I’ve been finding in my property and giving the outside of them a decent scrub to get most of the dirt off. Terrified, thinking about how horrible it will be to try to clean the inside of these small necked bottles.
I can not thank you guys enough that have posted about using small pieces of anything that is softer than glass and using different cleaning chemicals. I probably cleaned 40 bottles tonight. I swear cleaning the inside is easier than cleaning the outside.
Thanks for being so willing to look at what I’ve found and freely offering up what knowledge you have to this new, ignorant bottle collector. I am really happy I found this place. You guys are great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175

RCO

Reaction score
I don't imagine your bottles would be that hard to clean , found in a small dump , mostly just dirt on them , I wouldn't imagine them needing anything high grade at this point

Nickneff

Reaction score
So far I’ve been just collecting all of these bottles I’ve been finding in my property and giving the outside of them a decent scrub to get most of the dirt off. Terrified, thinking about how horrible it will be to try to clean the inside of these small necked bottles.
I can not thank you guys enough that have posted about using small pieces of anything that is softer than glass and using different cleaning chemicals. I probably cleaned 40 bottles tonight. I swear cleaning the inside is easier than cleaning the outside.
Thanks for being so willing to look at what I’ve found and freely offering up what knowledge you have to this new, ignorant bottle collector. I am really happy I found this place. You guys are great.
That green bottles cool I like it it shined up like a new dime didn't it

east texas terry

Reaction score
check out my post how i clean my bottle

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Wow! I think you did an incredible job. When you get an older site, you will find that they do not just rinse on. You can scrub all day and it won't help. It is called sickness. It is etched into the glass. The only way to remove the offensive occurrence is to tumble. Here is two very sick blobs from Philly.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 16134776892101648902325157247932.jpg
    16134776892101648902325157247932.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 173

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Some find sickness part of the beauty. Showing it's aged is a plus. They don't even clean them out sometimes.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Robby—Ah Frank McKinneys! I dig so many of those.
Backyard Gldmine—Yes, I'd say invest in a set of bottle brushes, some CLR or Barkeeper's Friend, and for the tough ones, muriatic acid. That takes off most organics.
But if you want really pristine bottles, tumble em.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Backyard Gldmine—Yes, I'd say invest in a set of bottle brushes, some CLR or Barkeeper's Friend, and for the tough ones, muriatic acid. That takes off most organics.
Exactly. No shortage of F. McKinney blobs.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Yes it did. It’s definitely one that stands out.
yes it did. It’s definitely a keeper.
I have one listerine bottle that has a ring that is rust colored. Like where the water level was in the bottle. Pure crl and bar keepers didn’t touch it. Guess maybe muriatic acid?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown