First time cleaning bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Wow! I think you did an incredible job. When you get an older site, you will find that they do not just rinse on. You can scrub all day and it won't help. It is called sickness. It is etched into the glass. The only way to remove the offensive occurrence is to tumble. Here is two very sick blobs from Philly.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Thanks. So far, I don’t think I have any ones that bad off. All of these were either in the tidal water of a slough or dumped on ground that floods after the dike was built. I’m trying to figure out if the dike was built before or after these bottles were here.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yes it did. It’s definitely one that stands out.

yes it did. It’s definitely a keeper.

I have one listerine bottle that has a ring that is rust colored. Like where the water level was in the bottle. Pure crl and bar keepers didn’t touch it. Guess maybe muriatic acid?
Try Krud Kutter it has never failed me. Could use muriatic acid.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Thanks. So far, I don’t think I have any ones that bad off. All of these were either in the tidal water of a slough or dumped on ground that floods after the dike was built. I’m trying to figure out if the dike was built before or after these bottles were here.
ha. That’s funny. I couldn’t remember the name of it so I didn’t mention it. That’s what I soaked them in. It wasn’t pure. I diluted it quite a bit so I could soak a bunch of them at a time. Off hand, you wouldn’t know how many different sizes listerine bottle there are so you? I have 4 of them. A one ounce up to, I don’t know, an 8 ounce size.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
ha. That’s funny. I couldn’t remember the name of it so I didn’t mention it. That’s what I soaked them in. It wasn’t pure. I diluted it quite a bit so I could soak a bunch of them at a time. Off hand, you wouldn’t know how many different sizes listerine bottle there are so you? I have 4 of them. A one ounce up to, I don’t know, an 8 ounce size.
I use KK straight. They had lots of sizes of listerine. The 14 oz is a big one. Not sure how many.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have found that what ever muriatic acid won't take out, acetone will. Both are beasts be cautious.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
I have found that what ever muriatic acid won't take out, acetone will. Both are beasts be cautious.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Yes. I will definitely be careful. I’m the one that will bleach stain my shirt every time I touch bleach so if I use them I’ll definitely be careful.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
My Advice:
1. NEVER use water that is hard. Hard water contains minerals. Two problems arise when using water that is hard are; 1. Increased agitation against glass and brush which can cause scratching. 2. Mineral buildup which can cause staining when the water evaporates. If you have ever worn glasses, gotten water on them, and have let it dry, you may have noticed that white spots appeared. This is the aftermath of the drying of mineral containing water on glass. Use distilled water or filtered tap water to avoid these problems. 2. Use room temperature water to prevent cracks or bruises. No extreme hots and no extreme colds. 3. Be selective about your brushes. Use soft bristled bottle brushes and toothbrushes. Do not use sponges and ESPECIALLY NOT scouring pads as they are used for hard surfaces and not glass. Using a scouring pad could result in the scratching of the glass.

Advanced Cleaning

Sometimes bottles will have "sickness" on them. This is natural decomposition process of glass due to
lyric-2-prescription-bottles.jpg
minerals/water. Many times, a bottle tumbler machine is required to remove the sickness. I recommend the Jar Doctor. He sells tumblers and also sells cut pieces of copper for the tumbling process. Of course, you can cut your own pieces of copper but I recommend buying from the Jar Doctor as it is the easier choice and he has been doing it for quite along time. He knows how to do it properly.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
TxBottleDigger

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch