Flint knapping Glass and rock

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
Ive been hesitant about posting here for one reason. FAKES..LOL

Im a flintknapper, i was surfing the web for slag glass and someone had a post and google grabbed it so here I am now. Been here a few days and Im sitting in one of the Deep Souths ports and all these years never got into digging bottles just old house finds and stuff but nothing like you guys are doing but.... I wanted to find someone who has found or stumbled across an old glass factory. Maybe found some large Slag glass chunks, I mean BIG...Like 12 inch boulder like pieces, those 20-40lber range pieces. If you have I would like to see some pics and if you want to unload some too let me know.

Ive been beating rocks for about 3.5 years now and alot of them too. Im an Addict! I love working glass. As I read around tonight I saw several other knappers and saw some looking for glass bottle bottoms. So I decided to post! Didnt know where but if a Moderator thinks this isnt the right spot please move me somewhere else.

I have already spoken to a close Bottlenut on here who lives a few miles away and I will hunt him down tomorrow at the car show! I also saw you guys stumble across some points (arrowheads) occasionally, man... post them babies I like rocks! I like that Paleo too!!! I saw it!! Yeah you know the one...and that Dove is S-M-O-K-I-N, absolutely a G-10 screamin killer!

My name is Steve Holloway, I live in Milton/Pace Florida and I like anything you get cut doing. So looks like Im gonna dig a hole soon!

I make points from Birdpoints to 12+ inch blades. This point is a Clovis but very modern as it is made from Blood Red Glass. I made it this week. Its almost 8 inches long. I diamond scribe my work and sign with a sharpie. I know some hate reproductions but when you love doing it as much as I do, I do everything to protect it. Most of my Killer A+ pieces are bought by aquaintances and collectors of the art. My lower end pieces are NORMALLY off type and the materials arent native to the type/region anyways. So its kinda easy for a collector to tell. But wanted to let you all know this before I get judged! LOL

A_018.jpg

Man thats bigger than I expected. But you can see the type of work I do. Im here to learn from you guys but if any fellow rock chippers want to chime in, Im all ears and will help with any question on knapping I can. I mainly make and study Deep South point types, I make youtube videos and have a website.

Appreciate the opportunity to come aboard and watch yall post freakmode bottles!

My only question is..... Are you crazy for going so deep in a privy? What about a cave in, your toast! What drives ya!

Steve Holloway

ajohn

Reaction score
Hey BOHUNTER,
Welcome.Interesting name, interesting interest.You have the heart of a warrior...Do you smudge? If so, I have a gift for you.
Anthony-John

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Bohunter. I find flintknapping very interesting. I've seen it done by a local flintknapper named George Martin (he's from Stroudsburg, PA).. he did a talk at the local rock club a few years back. I haven't had much luck finding points in my area - but I know people have been collecting them probably ever since they've been finding them in this area. my mom has a nice bowl of them that she received from a friend of hers. She died in 1986 and was 91... they were collected a long time ago. I'll see if I can take some pictures of them for you soon. The town I live in (Macungie) had a major indian jasper mine, so jasper points are what we find around here. I could kick myself, because back when I was a teenager, I had this cliff that I used to hang out at (not a big cliff, but a cliff) that had jasper flakes all over it that I used to collect... never dug, though.. The cliff is limestone and jasper is not native there. It's only about 3 miles from the mines - so I know they had to be making points there. Of course there are houses on top of it now! There is a field about 2 miles from where I am that I have found big jasper rocks in, but no points. Must have been carried down from the mines - storage field? It's about 1/2 a mile from the cliff.

Kate

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey BOHUNTER
First welcome .Have to say your passion is considered some what taboo around here . There are a great many artifacts here in the happy hunting grounds . Not to mention more flint and churt than a man could want .Myself I see nothing wrong with it as long as there not being passed off as artifacts .Like you said you scribe you pieces so I think its pretty cool . I once found a nice flint point while digging a footer in south Florida . It was donated to a small south Fl museum because it would have had to been a traded piece. Anyway I am told we have some what of a master around here who's work is very hard to discern from the real thing other that the many years of patina a piece gets laying in the ground or in the creeks .Heres a few rock Ive found on the river bank and in creeks .Some I am not sure about .
bill
66DDC1DCADB44EF1A4E501B5BFAD2F4C.jpg

Attachments

• 66DDC1DCADB44EF1A4E501B5BFAD2F4C.jpg
    66DDC1DCADB44EF1A4E501B5BFAD2F4C.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 96

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I've been told that experts can tell who made a point... be it old or new... each person has their own style. Apparently the best flintknappers had their points traded widely and it's possible to identify not only where a point is from based on the rock, but who made it (not literally who, of course - but they can tell the same person made certain points).

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
From what I've been told, any reputable flintknapper working today does sign his work. And these same flintknappers can tell others work... someone trying to pass off new as old can be caught.
Regarding big chunks of glass, I'm no help to you, but there is a big chunk on display (not for sale) at Gilman's aka Lost River Cave in Hellertown PA. I was just staring at it and I has to touch it... took me at least a minute or two to notice the sign that said "Please don't touch"!!! I apologized[:D] - Bob was ok with it! I think it's from Corning NY.

By the way, that is a beautiful point you made.

Kate

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Kate
Thats what I was saying years of patina cant be put on a point and I would say your right about the experts being able to tell if a certine person made this or that point . Its the guy thats not the pro who gets taken and I guess its like anything else let the buyer beware .Around here the big talk is weather the left or the right handed Indian's were the ones who produced most of the point .With the left handed being said to have . With my points I know they are real cause I or my wife picked them up .
bill

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Bill,
I'll be honest - I can't even really see much patina on a jasper point! I'd be taken! I really have no desire to buy them anyway, but if I ever find one, I'll treasure it!

Kate

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie