Flint knapping Glass and rock

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To Bohunter and the others: Well I am a story teller I guess. It seems that a lot of the posts on the Forum – incite me to write on the subject presented. At my home in New York State, I lived less than a half mile from an area where the Indians had staged a big battle with Sullivan’s Army when they went from the Elmira NY area all the way to Watkins Glen, trying to get rid of the Indians. The natives had lived in the valley between Montour Falls and Watkins for many years. When Sullivan’s men went up the east side of Seneca Lake about a mile and a half, the Indians went down over the path on a cliff and took their canoes across the lake in a north western move. Sullivan’s Army kept going up the east side of the lake. It is thought that most of the warriors went back across the lake on a north east route and came to shore on the east side of the lake near a creek and falls on point in the lake. From there they went up the hill and waited in an old road that crossed the creek about a half mile up the hill where the road went across the creek in a shallow ford. They took their stands behind a group of old large trees on the north side of the creek and killed off some of the army’s men. There was a big battle that left arrowheads over a four acre area where many arrowheads were found. The northern area of this battle happened where my Grandfather had a berry and grape vineyard. He ended up with a big ten quart bucket of arrowheads over a few years of working his vineyard. I used to play with them as a kid. Unfortunately I don’t know what happened to them. Knowing him – he probably bartered them off to men at his favorite bar. He did give me seven or eight that I still have. There is to this day a two acre area of those old virgin trees still standing on that area. All this was less than a half mile from my home. As for big glass pieces – I have seven or eight chunks that I was given at the age of seven and eight. I think I mentioned them in my homepage / welcome section. They came home with a man that worked at the Corning Glass factory in Corning, NY. It looks like some other Forum people enjoyed your hobby also. Keep it up. Red Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Story extended: That cliff where the indians escaped had original indian paintings on the flat cliff surface. Later it was added to with whitemans painting of a flag and it is often seen by tourist taking Captain Bills lake ride on Seneca Lake.
RED Matthews

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
RED,
I had a nice reply to you all and the rascal Timed out and after I typed it ...PLUUUUUU server error!
LOL

Oh well, Nice history lesson. Natives had a brain it seems! He lost men because he probably underestimated and didnt know the terrain! Post some pics!

Here are a few more points. largest Hopewell Ross is 12 inches and is Texas Chert. Bottom row is Deep South stuff...
frame_002.jpg

Steve

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie