For Sale : Bitters SOLD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

John Sudul

Reaction score
I brought this bitters to a collector in my area. He found that the "B" on "BITTERS was backwards and gave me $500.00 !! Whew, am I glad I went to him!!!!!
Ur51953.jpg

The first picture was not showing and has been removed. Probably a system error, sorry. - Admin

Attachments

• Ur51953.jpg
    Ur51953.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 87

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
RE: For Sale : Bitters

John . . .

I don't think that any of these Doyles Hop Bitters are pontil-scarred. The tip-off is the "1872" in the logo -- these bottles were blown after 1872. That is just too late to be a pontilled bottle.

The bottle would be a rare variant and certainly worth $150, if it really has a pontil scar. Show us a good picture of the base.

------------Harry Pristis

John Sudul

Reaction score

Here is a pic of the bottom of this bitters.

Wu61964.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61964.jpg
    Wu61964.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 96

Maine Digger

Reaction score

In Michael Polack's 4th edition bottle guide the bottle is listeda as Doyles Hop Bitters, 1872 (motif of hop berries and leaves) - Deep yellowish amber, 9-7/8'', SMOOTH base, slopping collar top. 1872-1880 - $175-$275. That's not a pontiled base you have there, but it's still a nice catch. As I stated on the forum before however, you have to take care with Polack's prices in his book, they seem to be on the high side.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score

The Kovels' 11th Edition lists these at $45-$75. However, as with the Plantation Bitters, color is everything. Kovels' lists a yellow-olive variant at $660 and a yellow-green at $275.

---------Harry Pristis

John Sudul

Reaction score

Maine & Harry, Thanks for all the information! This is a lighter colored Doyles, I have one other which is a much darker amber than this one. The other is embossed " C & Co" on the bottom Blown mold. I will get some pics for you guys later for comparison. Thanks , again for the info .

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

John ,
I have seen many Doyles in your color range there for sale at the 35.00- 45.00 range. And the C & CO. base embossed variants do seem to bring a bit more ( 5.00 - 10.00 more on average). The rare colored or the scarcer mold variants are the ones that bring the most money. Here's a pic of some of mine .

Nl29505.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score

Nice group of Doyles bottles, Brian! It is impressive to see the variety of colors.

--------Harry Pristis

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Thanks Harry !
Doyles are one of my favorite bottles. They are pretty tough to get in odd colors sometimes. Here's a pic of my two favorites......A labeled ( both back and front labels )Green one and a Golden amber one blown in the Niagara Star mold ( the word " BITTERS " is in an arch on this example ). Sorry for the poor pic !

Bz77604.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77604.jpg
    Bz77604.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 92

Maine Digger

Reaction score

Now that's what I call a nice line up Brian! Tell me, how did you come by so many fine specimens? Have you dug some of them or are they all purchases? I returned to collecting/digging a couple of years ago, this will be our third season coming up, and the only 'bitters' I've dug was a Saxlehners Bitterquelle. Which I guess is actually more of a 'nearbeer' bitters! It has wonderful whittle marks and looks great in a window, but alas, it's a poor cousin to the bitters I've seen on this forum! I'm looking forward to the day I unearth a Drakes or Hostetter's.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey