For Sale : Bitters SOLD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
RE: For Sale : Bitters !!PRICE REDUCED!!

Congrats John on your sale !
We'd all like to see a pic of that backwards " B " in BITTERS if you get a chance to get a pic from the new owner. It is a variant that I have never seen before and I would like to see it. I have seen the extremely rare variant where the whole word " BITTERS " is backwards , but never one with the " B " backwards.
I had a Dr.Soule's with a backwards " S " in SOULE'S . You did SUPER on your Doyle's with just a minor mold mistake as it is and with it being just a plain Amber coloration.

Maine Digger

Reaction score

Hello all, I learn something new here every day. I used to collect baseball cards, and an 'error' card of the right type was highly collectible. Are certain 'error' bottles considered more valuable than others? I have some where they messed up the joining of the molds etc, some that appear to have backward S's. Just curious.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Maine Digger,
A mold error can boost the price of a bottle. It all depends on the rarity of the error .
Mold errors such as expaned mouths and so on usually jump the price of a particular bottle quite abit. It all depends on the bottle and the error I guess , and of course on how much that bottle with that error is in demand.
Here's a pic of two mold errors , one that is fairly common ( the reverse " Z " on the Hartwig Kantorowicz ) and one not so common ( the reverse " N " on the E. Kiderlen case gin )
I wonder if the buyer of John's Doyles would give me 500.00 for either of my two bottles or even 500.00 for both of them ? HMMMM ! I can keep wishing I guess !

Yw68419.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68419.jpg
    Yw68419.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 93

John Sudul

Reaction score

Thanks Brian. I dont think I will ever see this bottle again to get any pictures of it.The guy I sold it to is quite eccentric. He never let me in his bottle room,where he quickly took this bottle after he paid me. He did bring out an emerald green ST. DRAKES to show me , what a bottle!! He wouldnt let me handle it ,so I cant tell you a whole lot about it. When I showed up at his house all I could see were "BEWARE OF DOG" signs and electric security signs!! I saw his dogs too . Two rotweillers , which when I came in he told to "heel" and the whole time I was there they sat and watched me!!SCARY! That little experience with him was well worth it though, boy did my heart leap to my throat when he told me about the mistake and he would give me $500.00 for it. Well gotta go finish paying bills! HA! Here a pic of my other Doyles...............

Oz79824.jpg

Attachments

• Oz79824.jpg
    Oz79824.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 90

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
RE: Bitters Mold Error

Nice artifacts on the wall, John!

Brian, mold-error bottles have eluded me all these years! I have only one that I can think of -- a Dr. Langley's Root & Herb Bitters. The address of "99 Union Street" has the "99" reversed.

-------------Harry Pristis

Ec88854.jpg

Attachments

• Ec88854.jpg
    Ec88854.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 87

John Sudul

Reaction score

Thanks Harry , I am also a very serious arrowhead hunter as you can see. When Im not digging bottles !! I am also a flintknapper ( I make Indian arrowheads). Here is a pic of a primitive knife I made..........antler handled ,tied with whitetail deer tendon and obsidian( volcanic glass) blade.

Nl29479.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29479.jpg
    Nl29479.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 91

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Harry ,
Nice Langley's ! The Langley's are one of the more common mold errors .... not knocking your bottle as it's still a good one.
My biggest mold error bottle is a semi cabin Philadelphia Hop Bitters ( PHILADELPHIA HOP BITTERS is all reversed) . I'm sure all the Aussies on here have seen or heard of this one. As it is an Australian Bitters.
John , Nice artifacts ! Are they authentic or are they some you made ? Nice knife !
I have spent my share of hours digging under bluffs for arrowheads..... believe me ! There's a lot of Indian artifacts here in Tennessee.
Sorry for the poor pic . I took it in a hurry and it isn't very good quality . Brian

Nl30361.jpg

John Sudul

Reaction score

Here is a pic. for Harry................

Jh14561.jpg

Attachments

• Jh14561.jpg
    Jh14561.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 87

baltbottles

Reaction score

Hey Brian,

Thats a nice philly hop bitters error there that mold maker must have been drunk that day. I see you have a Dr. Petzolds bitters in the back ground of the pic i wanted to ask do you have thae varation that has the Dr. Petzold german bitters company baltimore md embossed on the base. I have dug a few of these broke but all the whole examples i have either owned or looked at have had a plain base.

Chris

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Chris ,
My Petzold's is not the mold variant you speak of with the base embossing.
I have had several different mold variants in the Petzold's line and have never seen the base embossed example. It must be a RARE bird !
Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey