For Sale : Bitters SOLD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
RE: For Sale : Bitters

Sorry, Brian - When I wanted to dig a Drakes or a Hostetter's, I of course should have included Doyles! No slight intended!

drjhostetters

Reaction score

Question....?

I started collecting cork tops almost 35 years (or so), my first find was a "sample" minature 3-1 oil , rectangular 2 1/2- 3 inches tall, embossed with 3-1 oil logo and free sample on opposing sides....my next find a year or so later, was a complete box of 12 square bitters bottles (shaped like yours) (wooden box...decomposed but could still make out the shape of the box in the surrounding earth)...two or three clear, rest medium amber...one embossed with the Dr J Hosetters name..(thus my nom-de-plume)....I gave all but three away to friends..I kept the embossed one because it was the only embossed one in the find, one clear one and one plain amber...does the embossed have any value..not selling...just asking..I have checked a few price books and I have seen a price range from $6.00 to $250...whose do I believe? I have a new web cam and as soon as I figure out how to work the confangled thing I will post a picture.

Thanks for showing me your pictures of your bitters bottles...love this site...makes my heart pitter patter when I see some of those beautiful bottles!

Dr J

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Maine ,
I bought , traded , and one was a gift on all my Doyles . None were dug by me anyway . I can't remember ever digging a Doyles in my digging.
Doyles are my favorites and they aren't as exspensive to put a nice grouping together. Well , except for the Greens anyway !
No offense taken Maine. I like Drake's also !

Fc90249.jpg

Attachments

• Fc90249.jpg
    Fc90249.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 95

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Dr. J
I really don't know what your asking ! Are you asking what your Hostetter's is worth ? Hostetter's are worth different amounts according to the mold variant , base embossing , and or the color. A common Amber example may be worth in the 5.00 - 20.00 range while the more exotic color like Greens/olive can bring several hundred dollars. Or a pontiled example may bring upwards to a couple of thousand ( these are extremely rare ).
Hostetters are the most common Bitters bottle out there , as they were very popular and he sold a lot of the product over the many years he was in business. They are very collectable and I personally have always liked the Hostetters Bottles.
When you get some pics...Post a few. We'd love to see your bottle !

Maine Digger

Reaction score

I'll find/dig one yet, I can't tell you how many times I've spied the top of a drakes sticking up only to pull it out and find no bottom! I do purchase some of mine, we have a show here in Portland in April so I'll keep an eye out for the Doyle's. Gee, talking about adding insult to injury, drhostetters finds an entire case of bitters intact, and i can't dig 1! lol

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
RE: For Sale : Bitters Color Variant

Hey, Brian . . .

That green Doyles is awesome. Seeing the array of colors in your Doyles, I had to go look at mine more carefully. The Doyles I have has a "strawberry" cast to it. Is this a typical or common color?

I made some images using three different light-sources (including a 500W photography lamp) to try to capture the color. The other bottle in the image for comparison is a medium-amber WEST INDIA STOMACH BITTERS.

I'd appreciate a candid appraisal. Thanks!

--------------Harry Pristis

Sq45912.jpg

Attachments

• Sq45912.jpg
    Sq45912.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 93

woody

Reaction score
RE: For Sale : Bitters !!PRICE REDUCED!!

I dug a complete Doyle's Hops Bitters 1872 in amber two summers ago.
Exactly like the one Harry has pictured.
I've dug lots of Drakes but all of them broken.
Probably the best bitters that I have dug was a Bourbon Whiskey Bitters in an amber puce color.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score

Harry ,
I have a Doyles in the same coloration that you are describing I believe. I call it an Amber with Strawberry red or Red highlights( it is the center bottle in my Doyles group pic ). I really don't know how common the color is .....But , I have only seen the one that I have and I've seen a whole lot more Yellow amber and Golden amber examples. I'd guess it would be a 50.00 - 75.00 range bottle. I gave 45.00 for mine and it is in mint condition.
The Green Doyle's is one of my favorites out of my entire collection. It is not the most valuable ...... But it is my favorite ! I've had it for quite a few years now and I hope to have it for many more to come.
Woody.......keep hunting ! You will get that Drake's yet !!!!! Hey , A Bourbon Whiskey Barrel is a NICE find ! I saw a dug Drake's top half that was a Super light Grey Moss Green. WOW ! What a shame.........I would have sat down in my hole and cried if it would have been me that dug that one broke.
I'm still looking to dig a Green Kelly's Cabin . HaHa Might as well wish for the grocery store as to wish for a loaf of bread !

Harry Pristis

Reaction score

Thank you, Brian. I have a new appreciation for my Doyles bottle and for all Doyles bottles in general.

---------Harry Pristis

woody

Reaction score

Hmmm........ a green Kelleys' cabin. OK.
I have a friend who dug an amber one.
By far, my best find has been a mint 3 1/2" open pontiled Farleys ink in an olive/amber color.
I have dug a saphire umbrella ink pontiled, also.
I'll keep looking for the Drakes, though.
You never know what you'll unearth sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4