Found a digging site at work !

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

snake oil

Reaction score
I finally got on a job that has a spot where I might find some half decent bottles . I found some trash dumps from the 1950's (?) that were full of "federal law forbids..." liquor bottles and old pre-poptop beer cans . I rumaged through these dumps and found two liquor bottles I liked , one is a green Vat 69 scotch bottle and the other is an unidentified amber liquor bottle with a "ladies leg neck" , not a screw top , Owens -Illinois "O" over a diamond with an "I" in the center , marked D 8 , 56-52 . I also found the foundation of an old one room cabin . The foundation is stacked stone , and the chimney is made of brick with pieces of oyster shells in the mortar . I'm digging a trash dump in a drop-off about 15'-20' from the foundation . I'm digging up oyster shells , early abm's , nothing but broken assorted bim's , and some old looking iron pieces . I have'nt gotten to the bottom yet , so I'm hoping the finds will get better when I go deeper . [;)] I would'nt pay money for the stuff I've gotten , so far , but they look cool and they didn't cost me any money . I will post some pics as soon as I get a digital camera (soon , I hope)

madman

Reaction score
hey snake oil i found the vat69 and the ladies leg bottle with the later owens mark, does it have a kick up bottom, sounds like a late 30s early 40s dump, you can find some neat rare stuff in these dumps good luck mike

snake oil

Reaction score
Hi Mike , it's nice to know I'm not the only person collecting "twentieth century junk" . The ladies leg doesn't have a kickup , but I think you might be right about the dump dating from the '30s - early '40s , it is located +/- 75 yards from the foundation at the top of a ravine . It was full of liquor bottles and beer cans , most of the bottles were plain , with the only embossing being "federal law forbids..." and 4/5 quart . I also found an aspirin bottle with "The Bayer Co. Div." embossed on each side , with the "O" over the diamond , Owens Illinois mark on the base , with a "4" on the left side of the diamond and an "0" on the right . Another bottle I found there was clear , rectangular base , with Read's in script embossed diagonally across the front and the letters "C" and "L" intersecting on the base . At the dump near the foundation , I've found a small amber jar with "Vaseline Cheesebrough New York" embossed on it , an old light bulb that looks like it may have been for a cars tail light , it is larger then a modern 1167 tail light bulb . It has a glass spire about 1/4" long on top and the filiment appears to be intact , it spirals upward looking similar to a coil spring . I also found a round squat white glass jar , 2-1/2" in dia. with flowers embossed on it . I have found pre-abms but they have all been broken ,so far , but then , over 90% of what I'm digging out is broken [&o] . I plan on digging some more tomorrow , after work . I'll give you all an update . Good luck to you too , Mike and everyone else . .......Dave

madman

Reaction score
hey dave thanks for the reply!! ive dug in those late 30s and 40s dumps you no what some bottles from those dumps are rare ,cause they burnt the heck outa them! in those days, i tend to find massive amounts of cans and very few bottles intact but when i do find one its a keeper mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter