Found a Privy...I think? Who can help?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kranked003

Reaction score
Hi

I've been looking for privies lately after seeing all of the good finds on the site. I really have only dug in old dumps. I was wondering, are privies usually lined with rocks in a circular pattern?

it sounds dumb but i found a hole in the ground that is within 50 feet of and old(i mean OLD) foundation i found in the woods. the hole is about only 3' in diameter. I am not sure if it is an old water well or a privy.

the rocks start about 1-2 feet lower then the adjacent ground grade, but it seems the top ones have slid down into the hole. I jumped down in the hole (about 5 feet deep) and started poking around with a shovel. I found that it was rocky on top, mostly from the sides kind of falling into the hole. I could not get any of the material out of the hole. I also was greeted by a snake!! and couldnt climb out fast enough.

I do not have a probe. and I dont have anyone who can dig with me. I dont think i should really mess around in there without someone to help if there is a problem.

I found the house shown on a 1870's map and knew the area is still wooded, so i decided to scout it out. I mostly poked around the site looking for an old dump area and found many crock pieces which were broken. there are probably some spots there that could be dug from the surface, but i want the goods.

Is there anyone interested in double teaming this thing? I could really use the help of an experienced privy digger for my first time (hey just like being 16 again!) The dig area is about 20 minutes north of the city of pittsburgh if you are interested.

thanks for any help,
E

KBbottles

Reaction score
Sounds like a well... possibly a privy? Could be deep before you hit the good stuff if any. Smart of you to wait to have help. Wish I lived closer to Pittsburgh. I'd be happy to help in a heartbeat.

donalddarneille

Reaction score
If this is an older house in a rural area without indoor plumbing chances are you will be better off looking for the dump. I rarely find much, if anything in country wells, as these were used until quite late and people would not want to contaminate the source. Rather as they had plenty of unused land around them they would opt for a dump, usually downwind and in a ravine. I would see if you can find someone in your area with a probe, even though I usually wont dig rural wells, it will haunt me for years if I don't at least stick a probe down and check for a trash layer! I've got an extendable probe that can go down 30', even farther if I want to make more pieces for it, just for such wells and avoiding digging 25' feet of dead dirt to find out there is nothing on the bottom. What area of the country are you in?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday