found gold

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Pyrite does not have a basal cleavage like muscovite, biotite, phlogopite. lepidolite or vermiculite micas. Hence.it does not flake. When struck, however, it will give off the slight odor of sulphur.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
So - what's this? Gold?
I like your rocks. Definitely would have brought them home even though I don't have a rock garden. [8|]

265446B398924FD9818E2D691A68EA2B.jpg

Attachments

• 265446B398924FD9818E2D691A68EA2B.jpg
    265446B398924FD9818E2D691A68EA2B.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 75

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Kate, that type of gold paint is usually made of brass powder.. looks like there's some copper in there too.. or is this some of your party make-up? [;)]

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Charlie - I found it in the dump (most ended up in the dirt[8|]).. there are a couple chunks that look like they are copper (oxidated), but most of it is really 'gold looking' for lack of a better word. Does brass hold it's color like that for a long time? I figured whatever the binder was, it evaporated.... this is very very powdery.

Could use it for party make-up! Just would be curious what I'm putting on my face.[;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I misspoke before.. bronze is the most common "gold paint" ingredient.. depending on the other stuff in the mixture, the luster could be preserved despite the powdery consistency.. it was generally mixed with laquer or varnish...

photolitherland

Reaction score
Its pyrite for sure. Im about to graduate with a degree in geology and we find pyrite sort of like this from time to time in the shale beds north of where I go to school. Its high in Fe and it precipitates usually around a central fossil thats usually made of calcite. Those are some pretty big chunks of pyrite though, nice finds.

capsoda

Reaction score
Wack a piece of it with a maul. If it breaks put it in your rock garden. If it mashes take a piece to a jeweler and have it tested.

Looks like slag or casting material to me.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nodules of pyrite; FeS2, or chalcopyrite, CuFeS2. I tend towards the former due to the morphology and color, but I ain't a geologist and just collect the crap for fun, so i am not certain. It is almost definitely a metallic sulfide though.

I would be really happy with those finds, honestly. Nice job!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4