Indian trees- secret hidding spot from gold mining days...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggindot

Reaction score
I thought I would share a very interesting story told to me by an old miner many years ago. I was in the firewood business and spent almost every day in the forest. This old miner asked me if I've seen any "Indian tree's"? I didnt know what a Indian tree was. He said the Indian's would build a fire at the base of a fairly large living tree. The sap from the tree would make the fire burn better and longer. He asked me if I have seen any large "living" tree's that had been hollowed and burnt at the base? (The burned out area is a triangle shaped opening on one side of the base of the tree and is 2-3 feet tall) I have seen tree's just like that. I always thought the tree was hit by lightening. But was I wrong! The miner said "Dig down about 18 inches and you will see rocks that line the fire pit (the fire pit is inside the base of the tree, so the area where the tree once was but now burnt, has rocks) The next day I spotted such tree and started to dig. Approx. 18" I found the rocks and then ash's inside the tree. The miner said "Keep digging about six more inch's and you might find old treasures".
My first tree I found a old rusty can and inside was a small sack of Gold Nuggets. Not alot, but enough so now I dig every one I see. I have dug approx. 12 tree's and I have found something inside 5 of them. Coins, a old revolver that was rusty and the wood grips were rotted off, a Wyatt Earp kind of gun with a long hexagon barrel. And yes.....BOTTLES!!!!
The miner said burying your treasures under the campfire was one of the better spots to hide things from rustlers.
So the next time your out in the forest keep your eyes open for Indian Tree's.....another great dig!

2find4me

Reaction score
Interesting story, could you show us some of the bottles you found?

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
All I can say is BOOOOOM BAAAABY

boom-baby.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've seen a few trees that meet that description and I like the lore to go with them. I never tried to dig them out though.
And no Rick, I didn't have a camera. Not all of us carry one all the time or even take one on a 6 hour wood trek....
or the entourage for the videos.[:D]

oaks6810

Reaction score
Wow now that's interesting! My family owns an old dairy farm here in norther ill and have some of the oldest oaks in the area.. The oldest is about 380 years old and 20' in circumference. Another thing the native Americans would do is take small saplings and bend them over so the tree would grow horizontal. They did this to mark trails, springs ect. Sorta like billboard of its time. We had one on our land that marked a spring, but has been gone for years. Anyway we have a another supper old oak that has exactly what you explained, with a larger hole in the base. I remember hiding in it as a kid. Next time I'm there (maybe in the next few days) I'll bring my camera and metal detector and see what's up. Thanks for the info, should be interesting.

reach44

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: diggindot

I thought I would share a very interesting story told to me by an old miner many years ago. I was in the firewood business and spent almost every day in the forest. This old miner asked me if I've seen any "Indian tree's"? I didnt know what a Indian tree was. He said the Indian's would build a fire at the base of a fairly large living tree. The sap from the tree would make the fire burn better and longer. He asked me if I have seen any large "living" tree's that had been hollowed and burnt at the base? (The burned out area is a triangle shaped opening on one side of the base of the tree and is 2-3 feet tall) I have seen tree's just like that. I always thought the tree was hit by lightening. But was I wrong! The miner said "Dig down about 18 inches and you will see rocks that line the fire pit (the fire pit is inside the base of the tree, so the area where the tree once was but now burnt, has rocks) The next day I spotted such tree and started to dig. Approx. 18" I found the rocks and then ash's inside the tree. The miner said "Keep digging about six more inch's and you might find old treasures".
My first tree I found a old rusty can and inside was a small sack of Gold Nuggets. Not alot, but enough so now I dig every one I see. I have dug approx. 12 tree's and I have found something inside 5 of them. Coins, a old revolver that was rusty and the wood grips were rotted off, a Wyatt Earp kind of gun with a long hexagon barrel. And yes.....BOTTLES!!!!
The miner said burying your treasures under the campfire was one of the better spots to hide things from rustlers.
So the next time your out in the forest keep your eyes open for Indian Tree's.....another great dig!

0616648ADC7849A8BAAC49DBCA7E0BA2.jpg

Attachments

• 0616648ADC7849A8BAAC49DBCA7E0BA2.jpg
    0616648ADC7849A8BAAC49DBCA7E0BA2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 88

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member