Found Large Dump, need age id

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ehkahk

Reaction score
Here's the scoop. in a town 20 min from home is a river with a slope that gradually goes up about 10-15 meters, up to about 50 meters away from the shore, then it steeply goes up another 10 meters or so. The whole general area about 2 km along this slope was and is clearly a dumping grounds, at least at the top steep slope. Mostly modern stuff like 70's modern, but more likely most of it was from the 80's i'm assuming.

Now there is one area which sits starting just below the steep slope, and is about 10-15 meters wide, but about 100 meters long. Its like a "level" you could say, where at the end of it on the river side, it drops 6-8 feet, then is kinda bumpy, then it drops that again down to the river side.

Ok this dump area on the top has alot of old concrete work from not really new looking, prolly 50 years old maybe, to stuff that looks like stone comglomerate which is actually foundation pieces. Some of it is square and hollow inside like it was a sewer channel or something, other pieces have old clay pipes going through them or inside them. Then theres a couple big tires like tractor tires. Then there is one area on the right most side of it, there has to be 100 regular car tires, they look kinda old. Right in the middle of the tires is an car frame. Ive found 2 licence places below this level, one is from 1970 which i'm assuming is that old car, it looks to be that age. The other is a extreamly rusted licence place from 1952.

So I have somewhat of an upper age here. Theres a old fridge too i saw.

Now there is glass all throughout this dump. There is many broken parts of the rectangular "cures" type of bottle, they look like cork tops mostly, i have not seen one screw on top yet. Theres pieces of fruit jars, and pieces of the glass lids. Most of the glass is the pale blue-green colour. Seen a spot that had a few broken purple coloured glass lids. Theres some china areaoun all broken etc. Alot of the blue-green glass stuff does look old, i wish it were whole.

Ive picked out a few spots where i'm gonna go back and dig in and see whats going on here because I don't exactly understand if this is a dump like I think it is, or its something else, but i'll find out.

I found one whole bottle, its small, nice blueish colour, lots of bubbles in it, is looks older. Idea on age? I really like this one. It has this waxy feel to the glass.

bottle1.jpg

here is a few tops i took. Any age on these also?

tops1.jpg

tops2.jpg

If the weather is ok i'm going back tommorrow with a little shovel to poke around.

Andyf

Reaction score
Hi there,

The fragments you have are old old enough to be of interest.

The one on the left is a "blob top", probably 1880-1920? The others are harder to date, but the clear one would be early 20th century.

I'd suggest you try to locate the "center of gravity" for this sort of fragment, then dig some test holes. Look for ash and buried fragments...when you find some dig a big hole!!

With a large area like this one there can be different ages in different parts. Be methodical and patient. I've had to visit one of my sites three tmes and still haven't hit the right place.

Good luck!!

monsterdigger

Reaction score
That sounds like many dumps here in illinois, old cars, fridges, tires...............etc. The good stuff is below....................Jake

KentOhio

Reaction score
The blob top, I'd say, is from 1870 to 1880. The other two tops look like 1880 to 1900. As you might know, anything purple is from before 1914. And fruit jar lids by themselves can often be worth money.

madman

Reaction score
start digging youll be glad you did mike

ehkahk

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for the information. Hrm purple? as in dark purple or light purple? There is a number of broken things which are purple in this one spot.

Ok I picked a spot to dig, it by the spot where most of the glass pieces were. Didnt get very far nothing was coming out of the ground (glass), so I started digging in other spots and areas I thought might be good. None in any of them really, couple fragments etc.

Then I went back to the first spot, and I found a thin glass layer (1-2 inches thick only), 6 inches down, and it seemed to be 90% aqua fruit jar pieces. Directly below the layer was the uh yellow-brown-ruddy colour of clay soil so I dont think anything is down further (am I wrong here????). The top 6 inches was darker "top soil" kind of stuff. I followed the glass layer through a 3x4 foot area and it kinda travelled more to straight ahead and left. I came up with 2 chipped jar lids. That's about it.

I don't know, I think I have to revise where I'm digging, but that in itself... I don't know anymore where to do it.

By the way the ground is kinda "moundy" if you know what i mean, not huge but maybe 1-2 foot differences in height. Everywhere I hit the clayey ground under the 'top soil" at about 6 inches.

There was one spot though, I hit the clay eventually too, but the "top soil" was quite soft, almost granular. Almost like its been put there or something. Its not as compact.

I brought home a couple more bottle tops, and a broken piece off a dandruff rectangular bottle from windsor, ontario which is 3 hours west of here.

Maybe it's best if I was to take a bunch of pics next time so you guys can possibly see something me a novice is not seeing.

capsoda

Reaction score
Get yourself a probe and poke through the clay and see if there is glass underneath or at least dig through it and see if it is just a clay cap on a dump. probe or dig the mounds and dig out the soft spot you found too. You never know.

ehkahk

Reaction score
Ah nice :)

I have this metal rod I could use as a probe, i'll take it next time I go. Never thought of them covering with clay, but it sounds good to me.

ehkahk

Reaction score
the two chipped lids, the left is slightly purplish

4.jpg

This hair tonic and dandruff bottle is purple, i'm suprised the camera does not pick the colour up. I'm wonderinf if that purple top in my previous pics goes with this bottle.

5.jpg

This feels and looks old

6.jpg

and I forgot about this little guy. The top has been applied after I imagine. it looks like it was dripping down while they were making it.

7.jpg

That's all for now :)

Paul

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin