found some railway related items at local train station

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
went exploring the area around and near the local train station last night for something to do , its still 80% snow covered so i was only able to check a few bare spots along the railway where there was no snow but did find a couple neat items not of any real value but still related to the railway . also found a couple broken bottles but nothing worth mentioning . site is large and old so likely be some better finds once all the snow is gone and i can check rest of site .

anyways i found an old rusty railway spike and a butter knife that has the logo for CN railway on it , CN is shortform for canadian national railway . it says stainless steel made in japan so i don't think its that old

CF8B490591F744E492372391A84D26D0.jpg

Attachments

• CF8B490591F744E492372391A84D26D0.jpg
    CF8B490591F744E492372391A84D26D0.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 75

RCO

Reaction score
the butter knife can see CN logo on far left , in pretty rough shape doubt it has any value but solid evidence that the railway was dumping stuff in the area before the station .

A5666A857D514FC3AD468DCE5E4B67F3.jpg

Attachments

• A5666A857D514FC3AD468DCE5E4B67F3.jpg
    A5666A857D514FC3AD468DCE5E4B67F3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 72

ironmountain

Reaction score
nice finds!! I love wandering RR tracks.

makes this waiting for the snow to go away even harder.... RR lines just down the street that deadend at the city cemetery. One line goes on forever from here into wisconsin...the other line curves around the outside of the cemetery (50yds +..not right up on it) and winds up the hills to the mines.

Grabbing my Griffon, a backpack/shoulder pack and bringing the MD for many walks this year.

thanks for posting the pics..gives me a nudge to start prepping.

RCO

Reaction score
there is still alot of snow here as well , but weather seems to be improving and it should be clearer in next couple of weeks . the railway site that i'm exploring is rather large and hasn't been altered much . it goes back to as early as 1880's i believe is when it first came to this area , is alot of bushes and grassly areas that have never been built on and don't appear to have been touched much . they were just allowed to grow in and been ignored for years . the railway is still active though but not busy so i'll likely wait till a friday or saturday evening to check it out when i know nobody from town or railway is going to be around . is a large site and could hold some treausres so hopefully i find something there.

ironmountain

Reaction score
sounds exciting! if you have an MD, I'd bring that too. You'll find great stuff with an MD at a RR camp/hobo camp. Lot of stories from guys on the MD forums I frequent. Silverware, pots/pans, money, tokens, knives..the whole gamut. Now I'm drooling to get out. Might have to put the Timberland's on and start walking.

The tracks I'll be walking are down the road from me (200yds tops) at a cul de sac where an abandoned (used to be a school) bldg sits. It's a 12-15' walk up a slope/hill to the top bed of the tracks. (found 3 more sets of tracks at teh bottom of the slope). The far side of the tracks are flat and grassy/scrub pine. I've found booze bottles from 50's-70's at the base of the slope near the dirt road. Bound to be better stuff up top.
Before they wind up the backside of the hills, the tracks run between the back of a small strip mall and the original dump from the 1800's. Where the strip mall is was basically all hobo town. Has to be some goodness tossed there...insulators or something.
Keep us updated!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey