Found the Glass Lady of My Dreams!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
That's awesome you were offered the bottle. Congrats... I had a similar bottle I sought for about 20 years. It was also a blob from the small town of Niantic ct and I had only ever seen a shard of one I dug as a kid. Also as a kid I was disappointed to findout from grandmother that a legendary local collector named Al Corey had asked permission and cleaned out a farm house her and my grandfather had bought in the 70's.

It wasn't until I was older that I met Al Cory and learned that the only two whole examples known of the bottle came out of that very farm house! Al was not interested in selling his and was not sure where the other had ended up...

Flash to a few years later, I get a call to buy a collection, and there on the shelf, the Niantic blob! It turned out to be the very one Al had found at my grandparents and sold years earlier! When I sold my collection a few years ago I gave it to my best bud and diging partner who lives in Niantic and also has searched for one...

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks again for all of the good words. Tigue, that is an awesome story. You're a helluva guy giving that bottle to your bud. Just like the Mrs. Bossinger, you have to wonder what ever happened to the rest of those Niantic blobs for only two to remain.

I first saw this bottle and the Soult & Zerbe iron pontil soda in 2007. That same year, I dug an example of both, pulverized [:(] I didn't know if I would ever get one of the two, let alone both. Now, I not only have both of them, but also discovered another unknown local pony soda. I love this hobby! ~Jim

Bixel

Reaction score
Jim, glad to see you got that bottle, I know the feeling of really wanting a bottle, and I too have been able to get a couple rare local elusive bottles.

It is odd, but there are at least 2 bottles from my small hometown that there have never been a whole example of. One is a blue seltzer, and one is a quart soda(possibly an early crown...late 1890s-early 1900s). We have found shards of both of these, only ever in one location. I have also heard rumours of a clear seltzer, same maker as the blue one. For a town that today only has 14,000, my hometown had ALOT of bottles, and there seems to be rarity in a bunch, and some are known, but still have not shown up whole.

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, Kyle. It is always great when you get to acquire a bottle that you have wanted for years. It doesn't happen often, and the search can drive you nuts, especially after you dig shards of one. That just shows that they are out there, and makes you want a whole one even more.

I just paid a lot of $$$ for this bottle because it is the only one known, but it would not make me a bit unhappy if 20 of them were dug up on a construction site tomorrow. It's an important piece of local history, and I would love to see more of them surface. Too many collectors and antique guys around here don't even know that this bottle exists. ~Jim

Tony14

Reaction score
Congrats Jim!! Its always great to add a rare one to the collection..theres a bitters from fond du lac that i've been chasing forever too

madman

Reaction score
hey jim, congrats on your find!

waskey

Reaction score
Nice bottle. I'm sure atleast one or two more will pop up eventually over the years. My hometown has 4 milks that are currently known by only one example. My friend has 2 of those 4. He dug both in different local dumps. We havent seen even a shard of either one, but one of them has the top busted off and the other is mint.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Wow Jim, that's great. One of the great things about this hobby is the link to history and the past, another is that there's still some potential one of a kinds for everyone to find!

David Fertig

Reaction score
Is there a Mr. Bossinger bottle known? And are they semi-common?

My thought is that she would have continued to use Mr's bottles, but for one or more reasons, placed an order for hers. I'm not sure what the min. order would have been, but perhaps as few as 144? 288?

Dave

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen