French olive oil bottle with a seal on it.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

soda bottle

Reaction score
I was at the local antique store and saw this bottle with a seal on it. For a few bucks I decided to buy it. I tried to do a little research and found that some of these bottles were actually made in the U.S.A. Wondering if anybody knows if this is true and about what age the bottle is? Thanks, Jake
100_3433.jpg
100_3435.jpg
100_3439.jpg
100_3442.jpg

beendiggin

Reaction score
Really nice color...looks to be from France. Maybe just an import?

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
To me it has a European look to it. If you can prove its USA made that would certainly increase the interest in them.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I was at the local antique store and saw this bottle with a seal on it. For a few bucks I decided to buy it. I tried to do a little research and found that some of these bottles were actually made in the U.S.A. Wondering if anybody knows if this is true and about what age the bottle is? Thanks, Jake

Hey Jake,

Happy new olive oil.
100_3435.jpg

Is that "Carneau Freres, Bordeaux?" I don't believe this is American made.

029.05.jpg
"During this same time period, olive oil was quite popular, and the grocery merchants began using sealed bottles for olive oil. This was especially true in Philadelphia where 38 seals have surfaced, 75% of the total recorded examples of olive oil seals. Even if the olive oil was bottles in Europe, the embossed seal would contain the American merchant's name and usually the city name. These bottles were generally cylindrical and the color ranged from very dark olive green to aqua or clear. The size could be from a 1/2 pint to a quart.

These merchants of whiskey, wine, and olive oil in the late 1800's, who were using the seal bottles for their products were trying to convey a sense of superior quality (purity, character, premium value, or excellence) as a reason for patrons to buy their brand instead of some other brand. What better way could there be to show this quality than to have an embossed glass seal on the side of the bottle? Having the seal applied was not difficult when the bottles were hand blown. Additionally, this seal portrayed quality much better than just embossing the side of the bottle. There is no indication that these seal bottles were re-used to any great extent." From.

13029797af_i.jpg

soda bottle

Reaction score
Excellant info surfaceone. Thank you for the research.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Is that "Carneau Freres, Bordeaux?"

Hey Jake,

You're welcome. I forgot to ask you the size, as well. The abalone iridescence on the base, unless a peculiarity of lighting, indicates it was dug.

I'm no good at values, but for whatever few dollars, it is really a handsome specimen. I think any of us would be delighted to encounter the like in the wild. I'd be inquiring if it was locally dug next time you're there.

I'd love to see the seal backlit to show off the color and sheen, if you can swing it.

tumblr_l9lh6sHK5B1qcfykbo1_r4_500.jpg

soda bottle

Reaction score
I have it on Ebay right now. I do like it but its really not my cup of tea. It definetly was dug and I bought it at an antique store in Delaware. I would guess it was dug in the philly because most of the bottles that were in there were from that area. I tried to get better photos but its so dark and my camera is so cheap......
Let me go try to get a flashlight and see if that helps. be back.

Dadio90

Reaction score
I just dug this one up yesterday. Can anyone help me date it or tell me more about the history and rarity? The seal reads WILDE FRERES (Top) HUILE D'OLIVE (Middle) Bordeaux France (Bottom) I can't get the photos to upload but the bottle is black glass (very dark green) about 11.5" tall, hand blown with a ponnel scar.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles