GE amber lamp globe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
I had a yard sale this past weekend and a friend brought this with his stuff and I bought it for $4 because it is unusual. Heavy glass cylinder with both ends ground, and a GE logo etched on both sides. I found something similar on ebay with a greatly inflated buy-it-now price, but they don't know what it is either. I'm guessing some sort of industrial use. Any ideas?

1D10A0EA6F904FB48818F26A09081053.jpg

Attachments

• 1D10A0EA6F904FB48818F26A09081053.jpg
    1D10A0EA6F904FB48818F26A09081053.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 61

Plumbata

Reaction score
Considering the thickness I'd guess it was the housing of an external/outdoor lightbulb, perhaps over the door of a power substation, or associated with early GE-made power generation equipment? Though possible, I doubt that General Electric would have proudly displayed their logo on a kerosene lamp globe. [:D]

Plumbata

Reaction score
Warning light makes sense, or just a general light to show that the piece of hypothetical equipment was running smoothly (using/creating electricity). Maybe GE operated early electricity service tunnels in the places where they supplied lighting, and the tunnels were illuminated with lights protected with those thick globes (which also informed trespassers that the tunnels were operated by GE). Dunno, it is an interesting mystery though. Attractive piece too, their logo is classic.

ORIGINAL: toddrandolph

It's not right at all for a kerosene lantern globe.

Nope, and neither would be a powerful, innovative electric company with attention directed towards obsolescent lanterns. [;)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology