General Question about bitters bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chazc50

Reaction score
I read a post recently that seemed to suggest that finding original bitters bottles of any type is a feat in and of itself and apparently repros are way more common. I know some basic ways to tell sometimes if a bottle is newer, but how does one tell at a glance if a bitters bottle is a repro or not...what are the biggest signs. I bought one at a yard sale where the lady swore its not a repro(she claimed to be a one time collector), but after reading more, i am not sure if i got taken or not. I only paid $6.50 so it wont kill me either way, but any input is welcome.

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Hey you never know....what bottle did you buy? There are lots of stories where people have bought some great bottles at yard sales....flea markets etc. Maybe post a picture.....you never know!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's about impossible to answer. Some original bitters are way more come that the repros. Some common repros are purely fantasy and never existed as an original, therefor not a bitters at all. I think I can speak for all when I say we need to know exactly what you have. $6 isn't much to lose either way or about true value of either.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
finding original bitters bottles of any type is a feat in and of itself

not at all.
You can find original Hostetter's bitters all the time. They probably made 20 million of the things. They have to be more common than all the repro bottles ever made.

botlguy

Reaction score
Some BITTERS bottles are extremely plentiful and easy to come by. Some HOSTETTER'S, LASH'S, DOYLE'S, BROWN'S and several others come to mind. If it's just any old BITTERS you want they can be had for under $10.00. As the others have said, show us some pictures and we can probably tell you if it's a REPOP or original. Other than that it's a matter of exposure over a period of time.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[8D] Chances are very good that if your bottle has Nuline or Wheaton on the bottom of the bottle it IS A REPRO, also if it says made in mexico or china, taiwan it is also a repro........

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson