Giant mystery ink?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently found this while working in a river in New Hampshire. The other junk it was consorting with was from about 1880 or so. It looks like a very large square-based ink, but Covill doesn't have anything like it listed. It would be huge for an ink, that's a "normal sized" Hutchinson it's next to in the picture. The really tantalizing thing is that the mold had embossing but was peened out before this bottle was blown. The only thing I can decipher for certain is U.S.A. at the bottom and the company abbreviation (CO.) in the second line. My best guess is "Carter's Ink Co. Made in U.S.A." but I'd be more confident if I could see one with the embossing!

There seems to be a period after the third line, and the base is faintly embossed with an "H"

Any clues are appreciated!

Ambly

Fd90590.jpg

Attachments

• Fd90590.jpg
    Fd90590.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 78

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Ambly,
Have you tried making a rubbing of the peened-out embossing?That MIGHT give you something to decipher.

KAT

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Kat,

I did try that initially, but I was using a piece of mechanical pencil lead and it didn't work very well. I'll try that again tonight and post a scan of the result. Thanks for your suggestion!

Sean

Dawny

Reaction score
a tricked i was taught a while ago was to take some silly putty, flatten it out and press it into the letters/markings, then roll some ink on it and press it to paper.. worked a few times for me. Hope that doesnt go against any bottle care rules [sm=tongue.gif]

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Don't take it as pure truth, but I'd quicker say it was a whiskey or Gin or Brandy....Only because it looks like a full quart size and was found in a river..Maybe tossed there by a passerby?

And one more thing. It would have a pour spout if it were an ink.

amblypygi

Reaction score
OK, I tried to make a rubbing and it just isn't working out for me. I think I'm just too ham-handed to pull it off. The process of trying though, has been rewarding because I've figured out some more of the embossing (see below). It's definitely a Philly bottle.

I changed the shape of my cartoon a bit too, it was too tall which made it look more like a liquor.

The silly putty idea is great, but if you think I can make a mess of making a rubbing....

Oldtimer's gut instinct makes sense to me too, in fact that's exactly what I thought when I first found this. I really almost left it on the bottom, I had no idea there was any peened-out embossing, and the people paying me way too much money to look for other things are sometimes less than appreciative of the fact that I've discovered a pile of useless junk instead (One man's trash...[:)]) Anyway, something about the shape made me hang onto it. The style of the embossing doesn't fit a liquor though, it's something utilitarian. Embalming fluid maybe? The shape and style would fit that.

I dunno. Maybe if I stare at it some more new letters will reveal themselves [>:]

Thanks for all the help so far, this mystery shall not survive long!

Sean

Om33235.jpg

Attachments

• Om33235.jpg
    Om33235.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 76

amblypygi

Reaction score
Couple of things to add:

1. I think the second line reads "DIP CO." Does that make any sense? Did sheep dip come in bottles like this? What the heck is sheep dip anyway?

2. There is a series of regularly spaced, teardrop-shaped bumps on the shoulders, 6 on either side of the seam (see picture below).

Again, thanks for any ideas you all might have. I'm hoping someone who has seen the original embossed version will see this.

Sean

Tq48547.jpg

Attachments

• Tq48547.jpg
    Tq48547.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 70

David E

Reaction score
Hi Ambly I have some stand alone "H" that would be bottle makers Trade Mark on bottom of bottle.
H (Excpt this one had numerals whch varied under the H 1893 to 1906 Holt, Berkeley Calif.

H Fletcher Hart 1879 to 1882
Muring Hart 1889 to 1918
Div of Armstrong Cork and Kerr

H Heinz, when little space on the item, embosed, after 1888

H
Heye 1880 to 1936 Germany

Thes are interesting as there was peening on them also and both Co. from N.H.
but this would be on the bottom.

HS 1815 to 1817 Twitchell & Schoolcraft
H (S is peaned out) 1815 to 1817 Schoolcraft & Sprgue
HP (P is joined to H) and some peaning after that 1872 to 1822. My errors did not note company after this one, but may be the same as the other two. Also show another HP joined together 1817 to 1822 Keene(SP) N.H.
Probally just confusing things, but thought u may want it. Will look some more on your side engraving.

Dave

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Ambly,
A picture in Mysecret88's post gave me an idea;Try 'painting' a dilute ink into the peening with the bottle peened-side up on a white surface.The ink will settle in the hollows and HOPEFULLY be legible.

Hope this works!

KAT

amblypygi

Reaction score
Kat and David,

Thanks for the good information! I tried the ink idea, which is a really good one, but it doesn't bring anything new to light because they were just too thorough about peening this mold. I also tried spray-painting it to see if I could get a better picture, which sort of worked... It's still really hard to decipher though, I think this one is destined for the "Unanswered questions" category [&:]

Wt58954.jpg

Attachments

• Wt58954.jpg
    Wt58954.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 79

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member